Orbiter English > Orbiter English

Crash detection in orbiter

(1/4) > >>

John Doe:
In orbiter when your get collision with somthing like the sea/land/... nothing happens only that the
ship stop moving and when u collision with a craf u just go into it !
Is there any addon that makt those things effective (I mean to enable crash/collision detection, for
example if u collision the LM u may cause fuel leak, and other problems) ?
If there isn't is it possible to do one ?

John Doe:
Replies ?

VF2_Rolf:
Lots of folks have kicked this around for a while now...
Possible? Yes...but difficult. Some poor devil has to write the code afterall...if it is a standard part of
Orbiter, Martin would have to do it.
Will it happen? Likely...but not high on the priority list. Other problems need to be solved first.
Work-arounds? Quite possibly via means of a add-on module of some sort...e.g. a module might
flash a light if you 'hit' something...your mesh would still pass through other mesh though...

It would be cool for a number of reasons...ship collisions being just one...a rare one at that. But
rather it would allow for actual ship interiors that your little Dave Bowman could float around inside
of...bouncing off of walls etc.

Keep in mind that Orbiter is a work in progress...anything is possible :)

Cheers,
       Rolf

John Doe:
In what language should it be written it ?
(There is a very low chance that ill be the poor devil)

Dave Klein:
Something I've never understood about the crash detection issue (being that I'm not a
programmer in any sense of the word!) is why crashes into space stations are difficult to program,
but planetfall isn't.  In other words, if the surface of a planet can be made "solid" (as it is), why
can't a space station's walls be made into makeshift "planet surfaces" or something?

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version