See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: how to install orcus patera in Orbiter 2016  (Read 5277 times)

Offline majid

13 November 2022, 07:52:24
Hello. It's apparently very easy to install this base in Orbiter 2016. I put together a zip here: https://orbiter-mods.com/view/28/orcus-patera-2016

This mod adds a flat zone around the Orcus Patera base so it can be used in Orbiter 2016. Install
the original base from here first:

http://francophone.dansteph.com/?page=addon&id=162

Then extract this archive in orbiter root.

You can also install this base using the Orcus Patera 2016 orb recipe on orbiter-mods.com

Have fun.

There is also a youtube video showing how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz1Gu0CXKOs

Offline Milouse

• Legend
Reply #1 - 13 November 2022, 11:36:31
Hello,

After Wideawake International, it's cool to have Orcus Patera with its surrounding martian hills ! :top:
And others i discover yesterday... More, flat areas are easy to set in place.

My bad, i have an account on OF, but i'm not going in so often.

Milouse

Offline wraythe

Reply #2 - 13 November 2022, 14:22:21

Yeah, you won't find this guy or his mod platform over there though cause he got himself banned.

Offline Max-Q

Reply #3 - 18 November 2022, 00:38:32

Yeah, you won't find this guy or his mod platform over there though cause he got himself banned.

Exactly.
I would discourage the use of orbiter-mods, there are security concerns particularly regarding him or others reuploading addons from OF without the addon author's knowledge or permission.

In God we trust, all others bring data.

Offline majid

Reply #4 - 18 November 2022, 02:10:02

Exactly.
I would discourage the use of orbiter-mods, there are security concerns particularly regarding him or others reuploading addons from OF without the addon author's knowledge or permission.

I don't want to turn this into a political discussion, but orbiter-forum had been hosting David's Shuttle Fleet since 2014 until orbiter-mods pointed out that David removed it explicitly from orbithangar. And there are plenty of unauthorized uploads on orbiter-forum.

But you won't find any on orbiter-mods.com. Because all our mod uploads are actually vetted and reviewed.

edit:

Orbiter-Forum staff logic: no other mods repo besides orbiter-forum can exist. Even pappy's hangar is a "security concern" because anyone can register here with a username from OF and upload mods. So OF sees themselves as sole party capable of distributing mods.

This is why they have done everything in their power to get in the way of orbiter-mods.com including:

1. Banning me, and anyone mentioning orbiter-mods.com on orbiter-forum.com
2. Trolling me on my community forum at: https://chat.orbiter-mods.com
3. Introducing "browser-only" clause in TOS and using Cloudflare to jealously horde add-on files
4. Killing /r/orbiter entirely only so I can't post anything there
5. Trolling me on YT
6. Filing abuse/DMCA requests against me to my hosting provider
7. Blanket banning entire IP ranges, blocking an entire 4G LTE provider of 60 million subsribers from being able to access orbiter-forum.com to try and prevent my spider from indexing mod section
8. Now trolling me on dan's forums.

https://orbiter-mods.com provides *free* hosting for orbiter textures, both on HTTP and torrent. We provide a way for users to easily search for and find add-ons. We provide a tool to allow users to easily install bundles of add-ons. We pull these files from their original sources.

What is it that we are doing that deserves such vitriolic response?

Go to https://orbiter-mods.com
and see for yourself what is it we are doing that necessitates that any mention of orbiter-mods.com should be deleted from the internet, in the eyes of OF staff.

Also follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/computerex
I am starting to produce videos in 4k! New machine setup, joystick setup, expect to see a lot of orbiter related content coming soon.

« Last Edit: 18 November 2022, 03:21:03 by majid »

Offline Maxorbiter

• LordCroussette
  • Legend
    • J'écris des fanfictions!
Reply #5 - 18 November 2022, 04:25:39
Just give up, dude…

Offline majid

Reply #6 - 18 November 2022, 05:28:28
Just give up, dude…

Give up trying to make the Orbiter experience better? Why would I do that?

Offline Max-Q

Reply #7 - 18 November 2022, 21:33:37

Exactly.

I don't want to turn this into a political discussion, but orbiter-forum had been hosting David's Shuttle Fleet since 2014 until orbiter-mods pointed out that David removed it explicitly from orbithangar. And there are plenty of unauthorized uploads on orbiter-forum.

But you won't find any on orbiter-mods.com. Because all our mod uploads are actually vetted and reviewed.

edit:

Orbiter-Forum staff logic: no other mods repo besides orbiter-forum can exist. Even pappy's hangar is a "security concern" because anyone can register here with a username from OF and upload mods. So OF sees themselves as sole party capable of distributing mods.

This is why they have done everything in their power to get in the way of orbiter-mods.com including:

1. Banning me, and anyone mentioning orbiter-mods.com on orbiter-forum.com
2. Trolling me on my community forum at: https://chat.orbiter-mods.com
3. Introducing "browser-only" clause in TOS and using Cloudflare to jealously horde add-on files
4. Killing /r/orbiter entirely only so I can't post anything there
5. Trolling me on YT
6. Filing abuse/DMCA requests against me to my hosting provider
7. Blanket banning entire IP ranges, blocking an entire 4G LTE provider of 60 million subsribers from being able to access orbiter-forum.com to try and prevent my spider from indexing mod section
8. Now trolling me on dan's forums.

https://orbiter-mods.com provides *free* hosting for orbiter textures, both on HTTP and torrent. We provide a way for users to easily search for and find add-ons. We provide a tool to allow users to easily install bundles of add-ons. We pull these files from their original sources.

What is it that we are doing that deserves such vitriolic response?

Go to https://orbiter-mods.com
and see for yourself what is it we are doing that necessitates that any mention of orbiter-mods.com should be deleted from the internet, in the eyes of OF staff.

Also follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/computerex
I am starting to produce videos in 4k! New machine setup, joystick setup, expect to see a lot of orbiter related content coming soon.

Then if you are perfect, why are you trolling O-F?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrvuRVuL3T8
I know why, you're mad because you got rightfully banned.

No-one is saying there can be no other addon repos, we are just saying that addons are the property of their authors who are the only ones who have a right to upload them to sites.  I have nothing against your site, I just like the fact that OF has a strict TOS in place, not to restrict others, but to try and protect users' content.

Offline majid

Reply #8 - 18 November 2022, 23:31:47
Then if you are perfect, why are you trolling O-F?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrvuRVuL3T8
I know why, you're mad because you got rightfully banned.

No-one is saying there can be no other addon repos, we are just saying that addons are the property of their authors who are the only ones who have a right to upload them to sites.  I have nothing against your site, I just like the fact that OF has a strict TOS in place, not to restrict others, but to try and protect users' content.

I am not interested in politics. orbiter-mods has a singular goal, and it's to increase Orbiter's reach and accessibility. That's what I am working towards.

> we are just saying that addons are the property of their authors

Agreed, no one is disputing this. And orbiter-mods isn't distributing a single mod right now without the author's explicit permission. If you have a counterexample, please share it.

> who are the only ones who have a right to upload them to sites.

That's not for you or OF to unilaterally decide. OF has distribution rights, *only*. I have verbal permission from several mod developers whose mods are on OF to upload to orbiter-mods.com. They have given me permission to upload their mods to orbiter-mods on their behalf.

OF has rights to distribute, that doesn't mean they have the exclusive rights to host these files.

I made the YT video not to troll but to point out simple facts. I made orbiter-mods to improve user's experience. OF staff have responded in the most childish way imaginable.

I am not the one posting goatsie's. Can you really justify this behavior?

Offline wraythe

Reply #9 - 19 November 2022, 00:01:49
None of this is politics dude it's just the consequences of your bad attitude and inability to work with others. Everything has to be an argument or a drama to fuel your ego. If it was just about "making the Orbiter experience better" you'd be making the add-on installer instead of running from platform to platform trying to get attention like this. You took a good idea and you literally set it on fire so nobody wants to touch it.

The problem isn't orb or orbiter mods or OF staff, the problem is you.

Offline majid

Reply #10 - 19 November 2022, 00:36:31
> None of this is politics dude it's just the consequences of your bad attitude and inability to work with others.

Yall are posting goatsies on Dan's forum and I have the inability to work with others?

> If it was just about "making the Orbiter experience better" you'd be making the add-on installer instead of running from platform to platform trying to get attention like this.

My goal is to make the Orbiter experience better. And my goal is to increase Orbiter's reach. A little drama never hurt anybody  :beer:

You make it sound like all I have done is complain. When in reality there are 26 orb recipes now.
And for the record, I just came here to post about mod work I am doing. I am making bases usable in Orbiter 2016. You are having this discussion in a thread I made about how now it's possible to use Orcus Patera in 2016.

I am not the one who came here to start this drama. All I am doing is posting instructions on how to use Orcus Patera and other bases in Orbiter 2016. MaxQ/wraythe - yall are the ones who started the personal attacks.

Offline wraythe

Reply #11 - 19 November 2022, 00:47:07
Pointing out things you've done isn't a personal attack. Grow up.

Offline majid

Reply #12 - 19 November 2022, 03:55:11
You took a good idea and you literally set it on fire so nobody wants to touch it.

Yes nobody wants to touch it, that's why you and other OF admins are spending your free time trying to discredit me and my project on the internet instead of having a life :beer:

To anyone coming here not knowing what the drama is about

orbiter-mods.com's primary project is Orb, the automated mod installer for Orbiter. You can use it to install a bunch of mods automatically for you.

We have these recipes so far. New ones are coming every week, and you can contribute your own recipes.

SpaceX Missions
Multiplayer Elephant Walk
Wideawake International Orbiter 2016
Rebuild Base.cfg
XR5 Repaint Megapack
Fix Terrain Warning
XR2 Repaint Megapack
Create Symlink
Fresh Install Orbiter 2016
XR Fleet
Orbiter Essentials
Project Mercury
Space Shuttle Missions
Apollo Missions
Deepstar Missions
Orbiter 2010 Megapack
Fresh Install Orbiter 2010 P1
Disable XRSound Music in space
1967 VAB for Orbiter
DGIV Repaint Megapack
Stations by orbiter-mods
Orcus Patera 2016
Lunar Base Aurora Orbiter 2016
Luna City by Kulch Orbiter 2016
Heinlein Spaceport 2016 by Greg Burch

The recipes are simple python scripts:

Code: [Select]
import requests
import os

def main(orb):
    orb.download_zip('http://francophone.dansteph.com/?download=162', 'OrcusPatera_release_20131203.zip')
    orb.install_zip('OrcusPatera_release_20131203.zip')

orb.download_zip('https://orbiter-mods.com/mod/28', 'Orcus_Patera_2016.zip')
    orb.install_zip('Orcus_Patera_2016.zip')

def requires_fresh_install():
    return False

if __name__ == '__main__':
    main()

orb is free and open source: https://github.com/computerex/orbiter-mods.com
currently orb is a command line only tool, but a UI is coming soon.

Offline wraythe

Reply #13 - 19 November 2022, 04:47:59
To anyone coming here not knowing what the drama is about

that's the project, not the drama.

the drama is how you used to be an OF mod but got banned from the site years ago and seems like you never really got over that.

the drama is how the clearly terrible OF staff with a personal vendetta against you elected to reverse your ban when you returned to the site years later full of apparent contrition and new ideas.

the drama is how you wanted to help develop OHM but got your knickers in a twist when the help you wanted to provide turned out to be surplus to requirements.

the drama is about how you engaged with the staff at orbiter-forum about orbiter-mods.com, said one thing, then said an entirely different set of things in public.

the drama is about how orbiter-forum pointed out some serious concerns about how orbiter-mods.com was re-indexing search content on the site (and continues to do so) and your response to them being, essentially, "fuck you imma do it anyway you can't stop me"

the drama is how you willfully take other peoples' work and use it whether you have permission to or not - even when the authors of the content you want to bundle up into your platform explicitly request that you don't do that.

the drama is how you paint yourself as some kind of martyr for a community that barely even registers your existence.

you and other OF admins are spending your free time trying to discredit me

firstly you have to have credit in the first place to be discredited.
secondly the OF staff have done nothing but make your own actions and statements public. if you feel like that "discredits" you the only actor in that space is yourself
thirdly i personally mostly spend my free time doing shit i care about, which is not this - but people should understand the context behind your platform and your product if they choose to use it. idk how the OF admins spend free time but it probably involves thinking about you way less than you'd like to imagine.

it's a shame your talent isn't as big as your ego, really

Offline majid

Reply #14 - 19 November 2022, 04:50:17
Keep it up. Channel that anger. It's good for my engagements.  :badsmile:

https://orbiter-mods.com
is here to stay yall :)

Post Merge: 19 November 2022, 05:43:16
But seriously, I am tired of the fighting. Neither is the forum going anywhere, nor is orbiter-mods. We may as well find a way to co-exist peacefully?

:programmeurhey:

« Last Edit: 19 November 2022, 05:43:16 by majid »

Offline wraythe

Reply #15 - 19 November 2022, 09:44:24
"I am tired of fighting" says person responsible for fighting

Offline Max-Q

Reply #16 - 19 November 2022, 22:28:48
Agreed, no one is disputing this. And orbiter-mods isn't distributing a single mod right now without the author's explicit permission. If you have a counterexample, please share it.
dbeachy1's XR-2.  The XR-2 mesh is NOT GPL3 and you are in redistributing it.
http://orbiter.dansteph.com/forum/index.php?topic=14737.0
Also, dbeachy1 made very clear his desire to have the XR fleet not redistributed by you, yet they are hosted directly on orbiter-mods after he moved them to the private section so you couldn't scrape them.

That's not for you or OF to unilaterally decide. OF has distribution rights, *only*. I have verbal permission from several mod developers whose mods are on OF to upload to orbiter-mods.com. They have given me permission to upload their mods to orbiter-mods on their behalf.  OF has rights to distribute, that doesn't mean they have the exclusive rights to host these files.
If you have permission from the addon dev, then no problem.  HOWEVER, see ^above^ for an example of where I could possibly see this going.

I made the YT video not to troll but to point out simple facts. I made orbiter-mods to improve user's experience. OF staff have responded in the most childish way imaginable.
You say you're goal is to "improve the user's experience".  If some random person on the internet looking for a space sim came across that video, do you think they would be anxious to sign up on OF, Dan's forum, of even want to try orbiter?  Nope, they would go straight to KSP!

But seriously, I am tired of the fighting. Neither is the forum going anywhere, nor is orbiter-mods. We may as well find a way to co-exist peacefully?
Sure, stop trolling people who don't agree with you.  It seems YOUR attitude is the problem, given that in your eyes EVERYONE ELSE has a problem and also that you get BANNED on just about EVERY FOURM!

This is my final post in this thread.  I don't need to deal with anymore of your toxic #&%$.

Offline majid

Reply #17 - 19 November 2022, 22:43:41
> dbeachy1's XR-2.  The XR-2 mesh is NOT GPL3 and you are in redistributing it.

Where is orbiter-mods.com distributing the XR2 mesh? This is totally false information. dbeachy uploaded the XR2 mesh to GitHub, and that's where Orb pulls the XR2 mesh from. orbiter-mods.com is not hosting the XR2 mesh.

> Also, dbeachy1 made very clear his desire to have the XR fleet not redistributed by you

Actually he was talking about not including his stuff in an orb recipe. Since orb recipes merely have links, I am under no legal or moral or ethical obligation to comply with his request. Particularly when the XRFleet is under open source license.

> yet they are hosted directly on orbiter-mods after he moved them to the private section so you couldn't scrape them.

Moving them to private section literally has no impact on our ability to index. Your own private mods are in the orbiter-mods index.

All I did was give people a way to use the XR Fleet without logging into Orbiter-forum. The author gave me permission to do this by virtue of the license.

Post Merge: 19 November 2022, 22:50:50
Sure, stop trolling people who don't agree with you.  It seems YOUR attitude is the problem, given that in your eyes EVERYONE ELSE has a problem and also that you get BANNED on just about EVERY FOURM!

I am not, this thread is about Orcus Patera in Orbiter 2016. Also I only got banned from Orbiter-Forum.

This is my final post in this thread.  I don't need to deal with anymore of your toxic #&%$.

Okay.  :beer:

Honestly though yall my goal is not to be toxic or whatever else yall are accusing me of. I just want to make nice stuff for Orbiter.

> You say you're goal is to "improve the user's experience".  If some random person on the internet looking for a space sim came across that video, do you think they would be anxious to sign up on OF, Dan's forum, of even want to try orbiter?  Nope, they would go straight to KSP!

What am I supposed to do, roll over and let OF staff walk all over me? I have been playing Orbiter since I was 12, I have my own personal vision and goals for what I can do for this sim. I am willing to work with people but it has to be reciprocated.

« Last Edit: 19 November 2022, 22:54:01 by majid »

Offline Max-Q

Reply #18 - 20 January 2023, 22:38:47

That's not for you or OF to unilaterally decide. OF has distribution rights, *only*. I have verbal permission from several mod developers whose mods are on OF to upload to orbiter-mods.com. They have given me permission to upload their mods to orbiter-mods on their behalf.

WELL, I HAVE A @#%$ COUNTEREXAMPLE!!!  :worry: :worry: :worry: :worry:

HERE IT IS!!!  :grrr:
https://orbiter-mods.com/view/42/better-iss-by-max-q
I NEVER GAVE MY EXPLICIT PERMISSION FOR YOU TO UPLOAD THIS TO YOUR SITE!
I GUESS YOU NOW CANNOT TRUTHFULLY CLAIM YOU ARE NOT DISTRIBUTING A SINGLE ADDON WITHOUT PERMISSION!

You may claim that you can do what you want since it's GPL.
However, I can change the license...
All you are doing is encouraging people to not make their addons open-source!  Will a bunch of closed source addons "Enhance the Orbiter experience"?

« Last Edit: 20 January 2023, 22:46:02 by Max-Q »

Offline majid

Reply #19 - 21 January 2023, 02:24:37
Max-Q -

1. You released it under GPL, thereby giving me explicit permission to re-distribute.
2. You stood on the shoulders of giants to make this mod. Let's both face it.

You have other GPL mods too that haven't been uploaded to orbiter-mods because
I am cogniziant and sensitive to what you want despite what you may think.

Code: [Select]
Required Addons:
Canadarm2 v 4.0
https://www.orbithangar.com/showAddon.php?id=cca8640a-9659-4a80-aedd-2493ff99786f

SSRMSD.dll update
https://www.orbithangar.com/showAddon.php?id=9f945e6b-adc5-4a96-893a-cb998b1e8d0f

Credits:
ISS Models from the NASA website.  (No way are my 3D modelling skills that good!)
Zvezda VC mesh and textures created by 4throck, redistributed with permission
IDA Mesh and textures by dave1705, used with permission
Sun-Tracking solar panels code from the "Cargo Dragon" addon by BrianJ
CMG Gyro code adapted from the CMG v2.0 addon by Poscik
RotateMesh function orginally written by Face as part of the "Ascension Ultra" addon.
Texture for the iROSA solar panels modified from the Antares 3.0 addon by FOI.
The code to fly through the VC adapted from the addon "FirstPersonExperience" by escapetomsfate.
Thanks DaveS, for providing me with several helpful resources with technical data about ISS

> However, I can change the license...
All you are doing is encouraging people to not make their addons open-source!

Max-Q you are in the minority of people who release their stuff with a permissive license only to complain about it later on the internet. I don't know what your motivations are for releasing something with an open source license but then trying to control the distribution.

Open source/GPL and closed distribution do not play well together. Maybe you should consider releasing future work under a closed license because clearly you are not happy with people re-distributing your work.

Post Merge: 21 January 2023, 02:43:25
For the record, the mod was only uploaded to orbiter-mods because you made it private and now an OF login is necessary to download it. My only goal is to improve Orbiter user experience, and uploading a GPL mod to a site that doesn't require a login to download is objectively better than a site that requires a login to download from a user point of view.

I have examples of mods that I have the author's blessing to upload to orbiter-mods but I don't, because it's not my goal or intention to confuse people. If I see a mod that requires an OF login to download, and if it's legally permissable for me to share that mod with others in a way that it doesn't require an OF login, then I will always do that.

And there is nothing wrong with that.

« Last Edit: 21 January 2023, 02:43:25 by majid »

Offline Max-Q

Reply #20 - 21 January 2023, 20:46:21
First off, let me apologize for my initial response - I was frustrated and over-reacted.
You are right, except some may argue that GPL is kind of undefined as far as art assets.

Answer this one question and I'll drop it:
How did you download the addon in the first place without an OF login?

Offline majid

Reply #21 - 21 January 2023, 21:29:44
Max-Q -

I had the file stored in my system. I downloaded all the files from OF before the private categories were implemented.