See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Where is Dan? Where are the Updates?  (Read 43740 times)

Offline Maxorbiter

• LordCroussette
  • Legend
    • J'écris des fanfictions!
Reply #25 - 22 August 2017, 01:46:44
Dan is back ! Well I hope ! :badsmile:

Offline jgrillo2002

Reply #26 - 23 August 2017, 06:21:21
Good to see you again, Dan. Im guessing you took a little R&R?

Offline Ripley

• My Orbiter section on www.tuttovola.org
Reply #27 - 31 August 2017, 00:05:21
Nice to see you still hanging around here Dansteph!
 :beer:

...Historically, Dan has delayed until a complete, stable version is available...
Well...Not meaning to push Dan or whatever (he decides what to work on)...but the stable Orbiter2016 version has been released a year ago.
Of course we all know Orbiter development is a hobby and Dan (not only him!) prefers to work on something that pays him off, I don't blame him for his choice.

Martin meanwhile keeps on developing his betas with his own pace, and (hopefully) he'll never stop doing it, but this doesn't mean there is not a "complete, stable, released Orbiter version".

Cheers.

« Last Edit: 31 August 2017, 17:47:07 by Ripley »

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #28 - 02 September 2017, 21:47:38
It would be nice to see a new orbiter sound eventually. No rush, Dan. Just be sure to be online enough so we can occasionally give you a good ribbing. ;)

Offline Maxorbiter

• LordCroussette
  • Legend
Reply #29 - 03 September 2017, 05:18:13
I wonder what music will succed to "Air on a G string" and "calm-space" in OrbiterSounds 5.0. :badsmile:

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #30 - 03 September 2017, 07:50:32
I vote for "Steppenwolf - Magic Carpet Ride" :)

~~~

"Mood is a matter of choice. I choose to have fun!" -Vidmarism No 15

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #31 - 03 September 2017, 08:59:41
I see you're a First Contact fan, doc, but my vote would go to "Also Sprach Zarathustra"

2001 odyssey all the way! ;)

Offline Maxorbiter

• LordCroussette
  • Legend
Reply #32 - 03 September 2017, 14:45:47
I would prefer "Gayane Ballet Suite Adagio" but I am 100% that it is copyrighted. Why ? Because I made a video with it and YouTube gave me a warning and put pub on the video, all the money will go to "Warner Music Group" ... :wall:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-9VdUlZsW4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-9VdUlZsW4</a>

Do they really need this money ? :wonder:  (They will not even have 1$ with the views I make :badsmile:)

And "Also Sprach Zarathustra" in not enough calm to be used I think. (I dont think you understood what I said, I dont know how to explain it :badsmile:)

In the 2001 range, we have just one choice left ... "The Blue Danube" ! :eek:

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #33 - 04 September 2017, 10:50:58
I Prefer Zarathustra for it's opening. A bit bombastic but honestly it's just so iconic.

But you know, if you're looking for a 'calm' replacement, I've always had a soft spot for "Chopin's Nocturne No  2 in E-Flat Major" Just find a version with a slower tempo.

Edit: This one is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E6b3swbnWg

Offline Maxorbiter

• LordCroussette
  • Legend
Reply #34 - 04 September 2017, 16:36:31
I Prefer Zarathustra for it's opening. A bit bombastic but honestly it's just so iconic.

But you know, if you're looking for a 'calm' replacement, I've always had a soft spot for "Chopin's Nocturne No  2 in E-Flat Major" Just find a version with a slower tempo.

Edit: This one is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E6b3swbnWg

Yeah, it is a pretty good music that could work great with Orbiter. :top: And I think it had some similarities to "Air on a G string", a music I prefer by far to the OS 4.0 music. :love:

Offline Lawjedi

Reply #35 - 17 October 2017, 01:12:08
Very thankful for Dan's work.  How can we be of support?

Offline Sparky

Reply #36 - 03 November 2017, 04:52:27
Very thankful for Dan's work.  How can we be of support?

If you would like to support Dan, he is the developer of an (essential IMO) addon for FS2004, FSX, P3D, and FSX:SE called "FSPassengers" which allows you to assume the role of an airline manager/pilot. Its not super realistic with the roles you play, but its very fun and a new way to "play" the flight sim as you get rewards/penalties depending on how well or poorly you perform during your flight. And with funds you earn through your flights you can upgrade your fleet of planes; start with a Cessna172 and move all the way up to heavies like the 747, A380, 777, and A350.

Offline Chally

Reply #37 - 30 December 2017, 16:29:50
I'm embarrassed now that to see my rude question at the top of the discussions. Well, community members quite rightly put me in my place.

I wanted to add that I'd be prepared to pay for Dan's work if he were to resume it. I'd certainly donate if he offered the opportunity. That's one way to support him.

I heard a rumour that Dan considers Orbiter 2016 to be too unstable to work with? If so, then the future does not look bright.

Offline corondal

Reply #38 - 13 August 2018, 11:39:58
When will there be the much desired update? Hopefully soon :)  :love: :wor:

Offline StarLost

Reply #39 - 15 August 2018, 01:32:17
Answered so frequently before. Please search.

Offline corondal

Reply #40 - 15 August 2018, 17:11:47
there someone does not recognize humor or excitement: P  :)

Offline corondal

Reply #41 - 26 January 2019, 17:16:42
Any news about Dan oder an Update? Missing these things alot in Orbiter'16

Offline Face

Reply #42 - 27 January 2019, 09:50:25
Perhaps it is too hard for you to use the forum's search feature, so here is a small summary about what we know so far: Dan is waiting for a stable Orbiter version (the current one has some bugs and problems) before he releases new versions of his stuff. He is also concentrating on his commercial work. There is no hint that this stance changed.

On a funny note, I have the feeling that every new "where are the updates" post postpones the release for additional 2 month. :D

Offline Snax

• 51st Massilia Liaison Officer
  • Massiliae Gallorum Fortissimi
    • LGS Groupe
Reply #43 - 28 January 2019, 00:48:47
We could have a counter each time that question is asked lol

Offline jacquesmomo

• Le budget !!!
  • Legend
  • Plus on rate, plus on a de chances de réussir !..
Reply #44 - 28 January 2019, 11:13:48
We could have a counter each time that question is asked lol
:badsmile:
 :doubt:

Mes add-ons sont là !

Offline hhaonn

Reply #45 - 30 December 2020, 16:31:35
(In order not to touch "Update of OrbiterSound - UMmu - UCGO for Orbiter 2016" thread, I will write here.)

I'm worried about Dan. Is he okay? He has been offline for 10 days.

Offline yitianetie

Reply #46 - 31 December 2020, 17:33:05
I have sent him a private message. He does not have answered yet. I think he should be very busy during these holidays. But I am confident. He will come back to the forum soon...

Offline Nunya

Reply #47 - 03 January 2021, 18:12:58
i dont think i would be in any hurry to release anything for a dying Space sim. I mean seriously, no trolling, Why wont Dr Martin just open source the sim man? None of us are getting any younger. And when the time comes for the good lord to call you home you cant take the sim with you right? Why not open source it and keep it going for years to come? I dont blame dan honestly i wouldnt be in any hurry either. FIX THE SIM DOC OR LET SOMEONE ELSE DO IT!!!! Why let orbiter die like this?

« Last Edit: 03 January 2021, 18:25:54 by Nunya »

Offline yitianetie

Reply #48 - 03 January 2021, 20:34:05
Yeah, i agree with you on some points and I don't blame anyone too. I have tried to contact Martin but no answer from him for several months. But the debate to open the source code seems complex as you can read here : https://www.orbiter-forum.com/threads/will-orbiter-be-open-source.7164/

Offline predattak

Reply #49 - 03 January 2021, 23:59:02
I don't know about the dying part. Orbiter was "dying" in the eyes of some people since the moment it came out.. and yet here we are 20 years later alive and well.
Development this last year has been way more active than in other years, a lot o cool stuff got and will get released: Deepstar 3.0 with tons of new stuff in it, new Mir space station, new Salyut 7 space station, sound modules, new MFDs, Dan will release it's addons with even more cool features, we may have a new Buran shuttle + it's rocket and more. New members are joining the forums every day - the newest one was today. So dying? I don't think so.

On the open source thing i agree that Martin should think of a case like this for the future, maybe it would be better if Martin would find some competent close to it's level and line of thinking guy or guys and pass it on to them when he can't do it anymore because the moment you open source it people will just disregard all the physics and orbital mechanics and everything that makes this sim great and will jump on graphics ..maybe add some goofy stuff in it and make it another KSP.
I have no problem with people who play KSP but we already have one. We don't need another one.

« Last Edit: 04 January 2021, 01:54:58 by predattak »