See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: UCGO and UMMU Issues  (Read 8548 times)

Offline Hibblejaybob

21 August 2013, 21:31:53
Hi,

After a few years away I'm trying to get back into Orbiter, and my first port of call was to get Dan's addons. After installing the addons on a clean install, plus the DX11 client, I seem to be having a few minor issues that don't seem to have come up on the forums. I was wondering if anyone else had these issues and how I can fix them; although I am aware that I am using the temporary releases.

Firstly, the UCGO module and command module have no internal lights, making them impossible to navigate. The UMMU helmet light barely lights up the surface of the modules, so it doesn't really help. However, if you move extremely close to the inside walls of the modules and rotate you view so that one half of your view is obscured by the helmet, then the inside wall is lit up clearly. However, if you turn the UMMU so the same view is now in the centre of the helmet, the entire wall is dark.

Also with UCGO, the lights and solar panels, when unpacked turn in to the lights and solar panels, but with a box (with its respective markings) in the middle of it. Each of the boxes are grapple-able and movable, but the box stays stuck in the middle.

Finally with the UMMU, with atmospheric effects turned on in Orbiter, UMMU's become impossible to control on the ground on Earth: as soon as you try and move, you get blasted away by the wind. The atmospheric effects work really well with UMMU and UCGO parachutes, so I'd like to keep it on if possible: is it possible to override the effect so that it doesn't apply on the ground? Or at least reduce it so the UMMU becomes controllable?

Other than that, I'm enjoying the wonderful work, Dan!
Hope you can help!

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #1 - 22 August 2013, 00:33:28
First Welcome here ;)

It seem to me you use a beta of Orbiter (with wind) and I'll not support them until a final fixed version is out.
Such addon is too complex to release intermediate version. (and it'll confuse users)

About lighting Orbiter use a polygon lighting and it fail on big poly.

Try with a vanilla Orbiter 2010 and let me know if you still encounters bugs.

Best

Dan

Offline Hibblejaybob

Reply #2 - 22 August 2013, 01:32:03
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the quick reply. Forgive me if I've gone wrong here, but when I was reading about the DX9 adn DX11 client for orbiter, it says its only compatible with Orbiter 11xxxx beta (not 12xxxx and not the 2010 release). I got that from here: http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=26147.

Ill try on vanilla 2010 without the DX9 client and see how that goes.

Thanks

Post Merge: 22 August 2013, 01:43:45
Hi Dan,

Just done a fresh install, vanilla 2010 and it all works perfectly. However, I cannot use the DX11 Client in 2010 as I get an error when I try to use the module in Orbiter.

You recommend using either the DX9 or DX11 clients for your addons so I'm curious: how do you go about getting the client working in Orbiter 2012?

Thanks again

« Last Edit: 22 August 2013, 01:43:45 by Hibblejaybob »

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #3 - 22 August 2013, 01:56:35
You recommend using either the DX9 or DX11 clients for your addons so I'm curious: how do you go about getting the client working in Orbiter 2012?

The DX9 I have run on Orbiter2010, I don't know really about DX11 as I still have XP but when I wrote the doc the beta of Orbiter wasn't too changed. Seem you'll need an old beta and DX11 client ?

Good catch... I don't know really what to do here appart recommending to run on DX9 & vanilla ? (DX9 run also on win7 right ?)

Offline Hibblejaybob

Reply #4 - 22 August 2013, 02:36:23
Yeah, the DX9 version works perfectly on 2010, and all the addons are working great, thanks for the help!

I tend to avoid DX9 as I had a massive issue with it on FSX and so I usually just avoid it when I can.

Offline Cras

Reply #5 - 25 August 2013, 10:27:02
You had issues with Direct X 9 and FSX?   But FSX is made for Dx9, it is that Dx10 'preview' mode that was total rubbish.

When it comes to Orbiter, the D3D9 client has to be considered standard at this point.   You get far superior performance, and the visuals are amazing.   The maps, the antialiasng, the reflective surfaces, the planet shine.    Really I cannot recommend to you enough the D3D9 client for Orbiter 2010p1

Orbiter | SSMS2007 | FSX

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #6 - 25 August 2013, 11:11:23
When it comes to Orbiter, the D3D9 client has to be considered standard at this point. 

Yep, you're right. I added that in the DX9&11 info:
Get stunning Orbiter rendering with DX9 or DX11

Offline Hibblejaybob

Reply #7 - 25 August 2013, 12:02:43
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong: DX9 for Orbiter is great now I got it working, I just tried to get DX11 working first, and that doesn't work on Orbiter 2010P1.

As for FSX, I'm not really what happened, I had been using DX10 Preview as I got about twice the frame rates with it over DX9, but then I got a couple of addons that didn't have any DX10 textures so I decided to switch back to DX9. That was when I discovered that all the textures had become massively broken. I tried everything reasonable to fix it, and in the end, after reinstalling FSX and all my addons completely 3 times - which took as many days - I still don't really know what fixed it.

But I dont have any issues anymore!

Offline SolarLiner

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • a été remercié par Le Créateur
Reply #8 - 25 August 2013, 12:43:23
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong: DX9 for Orbiter is great now I got it working, I just tried to get DX11 working first, and that doesn't work on Orbiter 2010P1.

Nope, because D3D11 client is for Orbiter 2010P2. And for Vista+ users.