See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DGIV and Graphics Clients  (Read 9749 times)

Offline Cras

23 January 2012, 00:59:18
DGIV seems to not work under graphics clients, such as the D3D9 client Jarmonik has produced.

The D3D9 client is now quite stable, and I was wondering if there are any plans to get the DGIV graphic client compatable?

Orbiter | SSMS2007 | FSX

Offline Ripley

• My Orbiter section on www.tuttovola.org
Reply #1 - 22 February 2012, 23:56:05
Hi Dansteph.

Would you please consider to recompile your awesome DGIV-2 in order to fix the compatibility with the D3D9 graphics client?
Sooner or later, due to better hardware, Orbinauts will transition to the newer graphics clients available (there's also a D3D11 in the works), and it would be a pity not to enjoy your fantastic ship!

Here is the OF thread (also with a proposed workaround):
Would you come over and have a look?

Thanks.

Offline Bibi Uncle

• Legend
Reply #2 - 23 February 2012, 03:35:39
As jarmonik said, it is probably just a MESHHANDLE hMesh = vessel->GetMesh(hVisual, 0); that should be replaced by DEVMESHHANDLE hMesh = vessel->GetDevMesh(hVisual, 0);

Orbiter's doc says in GetMesh's definition :

The non-graphics version of Orbiter returns always NULL, even if a graphics client is attached. To obtain a client-specific mesh handle, use GetDevMesh.

Émile

Pluton, Saturne et Jupiter
Entendez-vous monter vers vous le chant de la Terre?

- Luc Plamondon

Offline darkvoid

Reply #3 - 06 March 2012, 01:42:30
Hi all,

I've moved to the new D3D9 client and now I can't use Dan amazing DGIV...

Can you PLEASE recompile a version that is compatible with this graphics cliente?!

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #4 - 06 March 2012, 04:30:17
darkvoid a écrit:
Hi all,

I've moved to the new D3D9 client and now I can't use Dan amazing DGIV...

Can you PLEASE recompile a version that is compatible with this graphics cliente?!

I may see that but no promise yet on the delay. I must gain money to live also and as independent it involve TON of work.
(I don't speak in days but more in weeks/month, sorry)

Bibi Uncle a écrit:
As jarmonik said, it is probably just a MESHHANDLE hMesh = vessel->GetMesh(hVisual, 0); that should be replaced by DEVMESHHANDLE hMesh = vessel->GetDevMesh(hVisual, 0);

Probably but this handle may not allow me to use the actual code, hence it may require a lot more work or that I disable some features. I should have a look at the code first.

Cheers

Dan

Message modifié ( 07-03-2012 04:06 )

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #5 - 08 March 2012, 06:23:45
Okay, I had a look and after some modif it work in D3D9 client at 300FPs. (except window opacity that I had to disable)
I'll check about changing GDI and see if I issue a temp patch or a new version.

News soon.

Dan

Message modifié ( 08-03-2012 06:24 )

Offline Bibi Uncle

• Legend
Reply #6 - 08 March 2012, 06:24:43
That is good news! :top:

Émile

Pluton, Saturne et Jupiter
Entendez-vous monter vers vous le chant de la Terre?

- Luc Plamondon

Offline Ripley

• My Orbiter section on www.tuttovola.org
Reply #7 - 08 March 2012, 15:48:04
Wow!
a HUGE thank you, Dan.

Offline jarmonik

Reply #8 - 08 March 2012, 18:31:59
Thanks for taking a look into it. There is a minor issue with a black colorkey in the artificial horizon display in the lower panel. In a graphics client environment a colorkey will be disabled if the value is set to zero, therefore, a black colorkey will require a non-zero value, for an example 0xFF000000. It will work with the Orbiter's internal engine as well.

Regards,
Jarmo

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #9 - 08 March 2012, 19:26:37
Glad to hear about you Jarmonik & thanks for the input,

You've done an amazing job so far :top:

About the update I have a good work to do as some anims and all alpha feature don't work (cockpit window, trail, hull heating), but nothing that I can't handle.

Do you think that we can release "final" with the DX9 client  or things may still change ?
Also what will be the status of normal map ? Specific to the dx9 client or working with other clients as well ?

Cheers

Dan

Message modifié ( 08-03-2012 20:31 )

Offline jarmonik

Reply #10 - 09 March 2012, 13:42:25
I have no idea what's wrong with the windows but the Hull heating could be related to oapiMeshMatrial() that doesn't work with clients, however, there is a new function called oapiSetMaterial() that should work.

I don't know what you mean by "final" exactly. But I am currently not aware of any changes that would effect in add-on compatibility with the D3D9BasicClient in the future. There will be two different D3D9 clients in the future "Basic" and "Advanced". The Basic for compatibility and Advanced for a new graphics features. Taking a use of the more advanced graphics features may require changes into an add-ons but it's far too early to worry about it right now.

Normal maps are implemented in the D3D9 and they are not ment to be D3D9 specific. I suppose this question should be pointed to a DX11 developpers. I don't know what kind of limitations there are. Also, D3D11 may not yet have implemented all practical formants for normal maps. DX11 do support some special formats those are not supported in DX9.

Post Edited ( 03-09-12 13:44 )

Offline jarmonik

Reply #11 - 10 March 2012, 05:09:52
It seems that D3D11 Client is currently supporting R8G8B8 and DXT1 formats. But other formats could be provided if needed.

Here is a list of four most practical formats for normal maps:
R8G8B8 (3-bytes/pixel, lossless)  (best format when creating and testing notmal maps)
V8U8 (2-bytes/pixel, lossless)  (decompression will cost additional 1-5% of framerate)
DXT5nm (2-bytes/pixel, lossy)  (decompression will cost additional 1-5% of framerate) (V8U8 will do better)
DXT1 (1-byte/pixel, very lossy)

Very bad ones: (D3D9Client doesn't accept these)
DXT3 (2-bytes/pixel, very lossy)  (data loss is about the same as in DXT1)
DXT5 (2-bytes/pixel, very lossy)  (data loss is about the same as in DXT1)

Post Edited ( 03-10-12 05:11 )

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #12 - 10 March 2012, 05:18:53
Okay, much thanks for the informations.

There is much more work than expected to make a full clean release as I like usually, the DGIV is almost dated 7-8 years ago (DGII) and many codes are oudtated with the latest SDK, so I'll issue only a DX9/Orbiter2010 patch DLL probably.

I'll not be able to convert all the GDI panel to the new system, there is simply to much work for my allowed time.

Anyway it work and I added somes stuff as 1920 panels, airlock & landing gear spot light.

Best

Dan

Offline SolarLiner

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • a été remercié par Le Créateur
Reply #13 - 10 March 2012, 10:38:51
It's a good news that the DGIV will be compatible with DX9 for my next video and next missions !
Great job !

SolarLiner

Offline Izack

Reply #14 - 12 March 2012, 16:20:08
Good stuff!! It's great to hear about any updates to the DG-IV. Thanks very much Dan for taking a look at this! :merci:

« Last Edit: 12 March 2012, 16:57:04 by Izack »
òÇó

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #15 - 12 March 2012, 16:57:04
You welcome ;)

Dan

« Last Edit: 12 March 2012, 16:57:04 by DanSteph »