See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Minimal age for those forum is now 17 old  (Read 15750 times)

Offline Twilight

Reply #25 - 15 April 2007, 17:23:59
I think he is asking people to act over 17. I doubt he's going to look into everyone's profile and say "GASP! You're
only 16 1/2, BAN!"

Naw, it's really just an excuse to ban the kids that are a problem.

And nakile, it's not only maturity in post, but maturity in angery post, and maturity in a FPS game with unbalanced
teams ;].  Some guys says "hey, can we balance the teams?" and I look on the teamlist to see it's 12v5, sure I'll jump
over, they're nice, but if it's 18v3 and some kid's yelling "OM*G BaLetnc teh teams nubs!"  That's when I pull out my
sniper rifle ;]

Being fairly young myself, I always hated it when people would generalize age groups, because back then, they were
talking about age, now however, in almost every age-group discrimination (yes it is discrimination) it's not really age,
but percieved age.

THough, some of my favorite times...  
"Grr! I hate 12-year-olds, don't you Twilight?"
"I'm 12."
"Oh, well.. I mean idiots.."

Post Edited ( 04-15-07 17:24 )

Offline g2g591

Reply #26 - 15 April 2007, 19:13:22
its all about maturity- most kids my age (15) in my school are complete immature retards who wanna go join gangs, but there are a few who are as
mature as 20 year olds.

Post Edited ( 04-15-07 19:14 )

Offline Zachstar

Reply #27 - 15 April 2007, 22:28:56
This Myspace generation is killing the internet. But to my great surprise the Orbiter community has been flooded by people
who have little maturity  lately.

Dan can I get your opinion on totally removing the idea of an "Official Orbiter Forum" to help ward off people who are not
all that mature and those with bad intent? At the very least if a forum gets attacked it wont be connected directly to
Martin's work.

Sorry you had to go through this Dan. Please stay on guard as there are many proxies and flat out virtual networks this guy
could use. I see these bypassing measures taken all the time at my school to access myspace.

-------------------------------------------
Orbiter Blender Support http://sourceforge.net/projects/blorbiter/ Use a powerful piece of free software to do your 3D work for Orbiter!
-----------------------------

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #28 - 15 April 2007, 22:46:06
Zachstar a écrit:
Dan can I get your opinion on totally removing the idea of an "Official Orbiter Forum" to help ward off
people who are not
all that mature and those with bad intent? At the very least if a forum gets attacked it wont be connected directly to
Martin's work.

Sure, but sorry I don't get it... "removing idea of official forum" ? can you explain please ?

About age I was a bit angry but my post is enough clear I think,
(with this title at least I'm sure all peoples will read it ;) )

my son of 7 old is suprisingly mature for his age so are many
young peoples. I wonder if it's not more a question of education
than maturity, I've seen grown people of 40 acting (and worse,
thinking) like litle childs.

Dan

Message modifié ( 15-04-2007 22:46 )

Offline Zachstar

Reply #29 - 15 April 2007, 23:18:47
Sorry for not being clear. I mean closing the main Orbiter forums and having no link on the front page to any others. No
official orbiter forum period.

I'd replace it with some kind of tutorial page with lists a whole bunch of links to places newer people can get help.
Orbiterschool and tutorials especially.

----------------------

Dan thanks for keeping in spirit despite the situation. Please do keep up the great work!! And thank you!

Orbiter Blender Support http://sourceforge.net/projects/blorbiter/ Use a powerful piece of free software to do your 3D work for Orbiter!

Offline Quick_Nick

Reply #30 - 15 April 2007, 23:27:45
I don't completely understand what you mean, but if they are available to close the forums, they are available to ban
the spammer.

-Nick

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #31 - 15 April 2007, 23:32:11
Zachstar a écrit:
Sorry for not being clear. I mean closing the main Orbiter forums and having no link on the front page to any others.
No official orbiter forum period.

I would personnaly never witdraw under menaces, my forum exist
since 4 years and helped countless peoples with Orbiter, and will
continue in the incoming years.
I'll not drop them just because of one short minded moron. He
would be the great winner in this case and this is unnaceptable.
One guy only would have the power to shutdown a whole community.

Better shutdown the whole internet if we start to act like this.

In brief we had annoyance during 0.000001% of lifetime of
this forum, I would not change my house if 0.000001% of wall
was broken (and nothing is broken here, seem we have even more
peoples lurking, peoples like scandales, thanks Mr moron ;) )

Same apply to m6 if it was your meaning, Community mean links
and communication, destroy them=no community anymore.

Dan

Message modifié ( 15-04-2007 23:36 )

Offline Zachstar

Reply #32 - 15 April 2007, 23:43:31
I wasnt refering to just this moron but the overall lack of quality at that forum. I STRONGLY believe that 3rd party forums
like your provide a much higher quality of choice and usability to the serious community.

I say break it up just like Orbiter 07 will have its core and graphics engines separated.

Offline Orbiter Fan

Reply #33 - 15 April 2007, 23:52:09
Zachstar wrote:
I wasnt refering to just this moron but the overall lack of quality at that forum. I STRONGLY believe that 3rd party
forums
like your provide a much higher quality of choice and usability to the serious community.
How about this? I'm going to PM Martin with this request even though I have pretty good guess on what the reply will
be. He is the only one who can make this happen.

If the reply is what I suspect it will be, will you then drop the subject once and for all now that you know what
Martin's stance on this subject is?

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #34 - 15 April 2007, 23:53:14
Zachstar a écrit:
I wasnt refering to just this moron but the overall lack of quality at that forum. I STRONGLY believe that 3rd party
forums like your provide a much higher quality of choice and usability to the serious community.
I say break it up just like Orbiter 07 will have its core and graphics engines separated.

I don't lurke so often m6 so I cannot judge the overall quality, anyway shutting it down
is not a good idea I think, Side effect: soon this forum would have so much peoples that
the quality would drop also.

What lack on M6 I think is a strong minded big-boss a "super admin"
that is in charge to control where go the spirit of the forum, Martin
never wanted to be involved with this. (his plain right)

But this is only my opinion based on some short (but regular) lurking, I usually
see nothing wrong at M6, maybe there is just too much peoples to have a
a good ambiance ? I don't know. Lately I just noticed that there is not much
post for a main forum. I would expect far more than 10-20 per day in the
addons forum.

Dan

Message modifié ( 16-04-2007 00:05 )

Offline Quick_Nick

Reply #35 - 15 April 2007, 23:56:45
And since Martin is the only one that can make this happen... he might as well ban the spammers when available
instead of closing the forum. If he's there it's easier to ban them. And he's unfortunately not there often.

P.S. Dan, did I eventually get it right in my 5 PMs? :p

Post Edited ( 04-15-07 23:57 )

-Nick

Offline Orbiter Fan

Reply #36 - 16 April 2007, 00:17:30
Orbiter Fan wrote:
I'm going to PM Martin with this request
This has now been done.

Offline MattNW

Reply #37 - 16 April 2007, 00:19:51
Voyager wrote:
very nicely put MattNW, i second that :)

I'm 21 years old, and always hated the "grownups" to act as if children can't be serious on anything. I'm sure many
of you
around 12-15 know the feeling of saying something, and the grownups just take it as false just because your just a child.

I've known many 12-15 year olds who act more mature then some 40 year olds.....

I learned that from experience. :)

Now that the mess from last night is cleaned up that brings up a funny story.

When I was 7 or 8 we had a small family reunion. I was playing outside because the house was filled with old uncles and such.
All the kids from my dad's side of the family were grown up. There were tornado watches posted all over the place that day.
It was just about this time of year and tornado season was just getting into full swing. I've always been interested in
weather so when I noticed two clouds going in opposite directions and a few seconds later a funnel cloud started to drop
down, I knew what was happening. I ran into the house and told everyone that there was a tornado. One uncle who thought he
was sort of funny said, "You just go out there and tell that big bad tornado to go away". At that exact moment the warning
sirens went off. :LOL:

You know how you always wish you said something different after the fact? I wish then I'd come up with something like, "Why
don't you go tell it that." :badsmile:

Offline Zachstar

Reply #38 - 16 April 2007, 00:59:31
Orbiter Fan wrote:
Zachstar wrote:
forums
How about this? I'm going to PM Martin with this request even though I have pretty good guess on what the reply will
be. He is the only one who can make this happen.

If the reply is what I suspect it will be, will you then drop the subject once and for all now that you know what
Martin's stance on this subject is?

Yes for the time being atleast. I hope he will agree 3rd party forums are a better idea.

Offline jer11

Reply #39 - 16 April 2007, 01:18:21
DanSteph a écrit:
Quick_Nick a écrit:
And I'll be 17 in 4 years...:siffle:

Good example of mature guy, Quick_Nick  haven have one
admin access to post news on dansteph.com and this since
month. I trust him and he do a good work.
http://orbiter.dansteph.com/index.php?news=search&author=Quick_Nick

Dan

I help you search for bugs, and helped you

Age 13

Offline Doug Beachy

Reply #40 - 16 April 2007, 05:33:12
Zachstar wrote:
Yes for the time being atleast. I hope he will agree 3rd party forums are a better idea.

You can't possibly be serious.  Are you actually proposing that Martin "shut down the official
Orbiter forums on M6 because the 'quality' of the forums will be 'higher' if they are hosted on a third-party site not
linked from the Orbiter homepage?"  How, exactly, do you expect new Orbiter users to be able to get support or find
add-ons without a forum linked from the main Orbiter page?  The entire point of having an Orbiter forum is for users
to get support.  

I'm with Orbiter Fan on this one: I know what Martin's answer to that request will be.  

It is not the location of a forum that determines its "quality".  The more members a forum has, the more "low-
quality" posts there will be: it is simple statistics.  If another forum had 2500 members the effect would be the same.

Offline Zachstar

Reply #41 - 16 April 2007, 07:02:31
I am QUITE serious!

And to be frank I have been on those forums for years and through all the BS promises that mods will get tougher, things will
be better, and just accept it BS. Orbiter Deserves better and there are ways of getting support without having the crap
target that is the offical forums. Orbiter is big enough to have the 3rd party forums house the community without much loss
and MAJOR gain in quality.

Offline Orbiter Fan

Reply #42 - 16 April 2007, 18:01:25
Zachstar wrote:
Seems like he doesn't:

martins wrote in PM reply:
I don't think that the likelihood of a malicious attack depends on whether the forum is "official" or not, but simply on
the traffic generated on the forum (and therefore its success). It would be quite simple to remove the "official" status
of the forum, by deleting the link from the orbiter site (and me no longer posting here), but this would be a bit of a
shame, because it would make it more difficult in particular for newcomers to find it. Besides, I doubt it would solve
the problems.

For now, I think that the usefulness of this forum still outweighs by far the annoyance generated by the occasional
outbursts of pubescent rage

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #43 - 16 April 2007, 18:17:27
Martin wrote in PM reply:
...generated by the occasional outbursts of pubescent rage

:lol:

I don't see also the benefit of destroying a whole forum because sometime there is some idiot in it :wonder:

Dan

Message modifié ( 16-04-2007 18:17 )

Offline killingsnake

Reply #44 - 16 April 2007, 18:20:59
Agreed..

Offline sunshine135

• I fly by the seat of my pants!
Reply #45 - 17 April 2007, 03:56:39
No way... This community on this board is very cool for the most part. From the old heads to the noobs there are a lot
of good ideas here.

Close the door and the trolls win.

"Sun Dog"

Offline aus_pilot

Reply #46 - 18 April 2007, 12:30:37
Doug Beachy wrote:
You can't possibly be serious.  Are you actually proposing that Martin "shut down the official
Orbiter forums on M6 because the 'quality' of the forums will be 'higher' if they are hosted on a third-party site not
linked from the Orbiter homepage?"  How, exactly, do you expect new Orbiter users to be able to get support or find
add-ons without a forum linked from the main Orbiter page?  The entire point of having an Orbiter forum is for users
to get support.

I'm with Doug on this one. I had a good look around the M6 forums before I even downloaded Orbiter, let alone installed it.
Without the forums there I would never have joined the Orbiter community at large, or found my way here..

Any presence on the internet is at risk from small-minded individuals, why should the majority, who don't usually cause
issues, suffer because of it? Sure, the forums got spammed, but it was cleaned up and we all got on with life..

I'd say that the quality of the 3rd-party forums would decrease, as people drift away from the fragmented Orbiter community,
until only the noobs are left...

Do you need launch facilities? Visit Ant  Aerospace at http://antaerospace.freehostia.com

Offline melinda

Reply #47 - 11 May 2007, 08:53:31
Melinda if by any
chance you get the link you asked in PM it's goodbye also.
then i should be gone

[User Banned]

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #48 - 11 May 2007, 10:13:00
melinda a écrit:
then i should be gone

I knew about the link, but I didn't care a cents, a chance for you.
now if you can't shut up and ask for it bumping a one month old thread...

Your unfriendly attitude and the fact that I never saw any valuable
post here from yourself = Good bye.

I don't think the community will miss you and it will save your time. win/win

Dan

Message modifié ( 11-05-2007 15:25 )

Offline tritoch

Reply #49 - 11 May 2007, 13:05:34
please dont ban me dan!

if im online then im online [now you're offline, user banned]