See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Add-on Idea  (Read 4556 times)

Offline xwingace20

30 June 2005, 04:54:34
How about making an add-on that can turn Orbiter into a online, like  taking the DGIII idea to the next level.  There
would be a live crew and the crew member would be a real person.

Offline Murdock

Reply #1 - 31 July 2005, 15:54:56
I found that on DG III, when docked even ship to ship, refuelling one ship won't deplete the other's fuel reserve, in
other words you get fuel from nowhere. I think it would add realism to drain fuel from the vessel you're docked at, (I
guess it would be possible to add an huge reserve of fuel to space station too provided the are defined as vessel).

Offline Me

Reply #2 - 31 July 2005, 19:18:34
I think there is an addon called FSS(fuel space station) or something like that on orbithanger or avsim, I'm not sure, but i
think it would be really cool to have a online orbiter universe, so you could fly real time with many other pilots but that
would take alot of work to develope.

9 * 6=42
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Offline domgod

Reply #3 - 31 July 2005, 23:07:56
I think its not possible because people will wait for takeoff because there is already something on the launchpad but it
would be cool but long to devellop and there is also the addon if someone dont have the vessel you're driving what will he see?

___________________________________________________________________________________
Si un jour tu te sens déprimé :( et bien souviens toi.... Un jour tu as été le plus rapide des spermatozoïde!

Offline Me

Reply #4 - 01 August 2005, 00:02:19
well you could make space ports that have runways as well as many vtol pads so that even if there was congestion you could
always land on the runway and taxi to somewhere. There would also have to be a base package of ship so that everyone has the
same options (this would make making addons very tricky because everyone would have to simoltaneously upload the file). Also
i think it would need a very larger server to deal with that much space and many users.

9 * 6=42
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Offline wardogg

Reply #5 - 01 August 2005, 06:41:03
ONLINE WOULD BE AWESOME!  I think that would be the utmost and absolute thing you could do with this sim.  and
as for Takeoffs...most everything takes off VTOL and for the shuttles you could just let people take off from anywhere
instead of just FL. now docking at the space station would probably be a problem....unless there were many floating
around up there.  Man the possibilites literally would be quite endless

Offline domgod

Reply #6 - 01 August 2005, 15:45:26
what could be possible too is that people lauch server on their computer and they limit exemple 10 person on their server
like that it would be easier to dock to ISS and lauch a space shuttle

___________________________________________________________________________________
Si un jour tu te sens déprimé :( et bien souviens toi.... Un jour tu as été le plus rapide des spermatozoïde!

Offline Me

Reply #7 - 01 August 2005, 16:14:35
An orbiter lan party?

9 * 6=42
(\__/)
(O.o )

Offline domgod

Reply #8 - 01 August 2005, 17:53:59
no like a lot of game you make your own server and people around the world connect to it like flight sim

Offline Me

Reply #9 - 01 August 2005, 18:38:35
sounds complicated

9 * 6=42
(\__/)
(O.o )

Offline Me

Reply #10 - 02 August 2005, 00:13:45
what about a ringworld? is it possible for orbiter to deal with a huge ring 1 million miles wide and one AU in radius and
1000 mile high walls on each side and spinning at 770 mi/sec, it also has three million (roughly) times the area of the earth so my only problem with this is could orbiter deal with  the texture amount?

Post Edited ( 08-02-05 02:24 )

9 * 6=42
(\__/)
(O.o )

Offline Atom

• Legend
Reply #11 - 02 August 2005, 03:22:35
Halo comes to mind, only alot bigger. That's a cool idea, but what would the physics and gravity make of such a large and
oddly shaped object?

Intel Pentium 4 630 3Ghz|1024mb 400mhz DDR RAM|ASUS P5P800-VM|Nvidia GeForce 6200 256mb|Creative Sound Blaster Pro Value!|Windows XP SP2

Offline Me

Reply #12 - 02 August 2005, 03:49:48
the physics of the object are all explained in the novel ringworld. it is supposed to be an intermediet step between regular
planets and dyson spheres. it spins for one gravity and is supposedly made of a super strong material that keeps it rigid so
it doesnt fly apart. its a very good book

9 * 6=42
(\__/)
(O.o )

Offline domgod

Reply #13 - 04 August 2005, 14:41:56
it would be cool if you dock the DG to ISS to be an astronaut and go in the ISS

Freik

Reply #14 - 05 August 2005, 04:17:31
A 'Halo' would be a cool idea, but it's size could be a problem.  Then their's the MFD confusion about landing inside
a 'planet'.   Anyways, online multiplayer would be awsome.  The ISS would be a problem, but if you need fuel you
could just dock with another ship.

Offline StarLost

Reply #15 - 05 August 2005, 05:53:44
Ringworld has been discussed at length over on M6 Orbiter forums (both Addon and OffTopic, I think). Go there and see why it
can't be done.

As for online multiuser, this must be a fetish amongst the younger folk. It has no interest for me at all.

Offline Cindy

Reply #16 - 05 August 2005, 16:44:08
Oh Nooooooo!!
Other people could watch me burn up and do unintentional space-based aerobatics??

Aaaarrggghhhh!!!  :-p

Cindy

generaltak

Reply #17 - 07 August 2005, 01:51:09
A ringworld mignt be neat, but imagine texturing trillions of square kilometers... I'll pass.

As for the online thing, there is an addon that lets you start a small server (for 1 or 2 friends) and play together. But it
has a lot of bugs and compatibility issues. Could be cool, though, for a "race to the moon" competition or some such thing.

I'm curious. Why cant a ringworld be done? I know there are problems with navigation (not to mention accelerating to 770
miles per second to transfer from a planet) and the orbiter code itself would have to change to acomodate the rather unusual
atmospheric calculations and collision detection, but... Mind you there are a few other things I would like to see happen
first developpment wise.

I cant seem to find the forums you were referring to StarLost.

Offline domgod

Reply #18 - 07 August 2005, 05:36:40
could you talk a bit more on that addon?

« Last Edit: 07 August 2005, 05:36:40 by domgod »