See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A couple of DGIII skin ideas I'm working on  (Read 10651 times)

Offline macstu23

26 November 2004, 03:08:59
Here are two DGIII skins I'm working on at present....

The  BA skin is very near complete, the Greyhound skin is just in its conceptual stage....the finished version may look quite
different, we'll just have to see. Since I'm moving house this weekend, I guess it''ll perhaps be another week or two before
they both come to fruition.

BTW....I like Coussini's 'Quebec Air' skin. Pefect response to my Maple leaf 'Canada' skin :)).. Nice job.

Offline canadave

Reply #1 - 26 November 2004, 05:34:29
Stu,

Those both look great! I guess you're starting to become an old hand at this ;)  I hadn't seen the QuebecAir skin until
you mentioned it...just had a look, I think I've got my cross-Canada trips covered now with the Air Canada and
QuebecAir skins ;)

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #2 - 26 November 2004, 08:59:47
Nice work indeed. :)

~~~

"Mood is a matter of choice. I choose to have fun!" -Vidmarism No 15

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #3 - 26 November 2004, 09:21:17
Yes both look great.... :hot:

Submit them for the skin post once done my friend :)

Dan

Offline StarLost

Reply #4 - 26 November 2004, 10:51:03
It is very nice work indeed ...

But cite me for a purist, but something just doesn't sit right with the "airline" repaints in space.  After all, no air.
Maybe a little licence to be employed in a slight renaming? I can see it now, instead of Air Canada, it could be Vacuum
Canada (let's start with the politicians). Nahhh !  Though I must admit L'Espace France does seem to fit.

Branson (for as much as I can't stand him, ala  Bill Gates) at least will be calling his new enterprise "Virgin Galactic" ( a
bit presumptuous as always).

Ahh, it must be me. It's late and the pain killers haven't kicked in yet...

But keep it up, Stu, it really is good work.

Offline canadave

Reply #5 - 26 November 2004, 21:28:15
StarLost,

I see your point, but I think the idea here is that in the future, current airline companies might conceivably operate in
space (think about this--what if a "spaceplane", that can take off and land from a runway and fly into space, is
developed within the next 25 years?)  In such a case, maybe the "Air" part of the company name might be seen by
travelers as a quaint, lovely throwback to days of yore :)  Ahhh, yes, the good old days, when people traveled only in
the air, and only at a mere 500 miles per hour!

Your idea about the renaming is intriguing to me though.  Maybe "Aerospace Canada" to replace "Air Canada" in the
year 2039? ;)

Offline StarLost

Reply #6 - 27 November 2004, 08:27:39
Yeah, but ...

I got to thinking even further after that.  Just started rereading an old classic scifi series, Dr. E.E. Smith and his
Lensmen books.  I suppose if you substitute "ether" for either air or space, it still kinda fits.  I'd hate to stifle good work.

Got to wondering about the Greyhound repaint though ... where did they put the WC? And, if you've ever ridden a Greyhound (I
once did a three and a half day trip in one, coincidentally from Edmonton to Toronto), can you imagine the ... ahhh ...
"ambience" ... that one in the DG3 would have after a flight from say Earth to Mars? I've ofter wondered how well the
facilities on the ISS have stacked up to prolonged human use, and then extended the musing to a Mars Direct flight.

Uhhh ... sorry folks, but some very late nights, coupled with "chemical" assistance for a recently seriously torn shoulder,
have caused me to seriously think about some of the most prosaic aspects of human existence (curiously what you would have to
do if you lost the use of your right arm for six months, considering the above paragraph) ...  not to mention some seriously
twisted thoughts.  And to think some people take stuff like this deliberately for "recreational" purposes.

I abase myself.

Offline macstu23

Reply #7 - 03 December 2004, 15:30:57
Yeah I did a 17 hour Greyhound trip from Vancouver to Banff...it was lots of fun, so I reckoned it had to be done as a
DGIII repaint since we already have a Yellow Cab. I thought maybe I should change the interior crew. Maybe have at
least a couple of bums, at least one single mother with 3 kids and an OAP...lol. I'm also thinking about a sign on the
exterior with a service number and something like 'Vancouver-Seattle-Olympus Mons'...I dunno if I'll have room
though.

P.S. I did try changing the BA logo to 'British Vacuumways' but it was too big for the fuselage. :P..It may be a while
yet before these appear as I'm right in the middle of a big house renovation after having moved...Sorry folks. Will do
my best to have them both released for Christmas though.

Cheers.

Offline canadave

Reply #8 - 03 December 2004, 17:30:20
Sorry folks. Will do my best to have them both released for Christmas though.

Which, on a completely unrelated note, makes me wonder: when is someone going to design a Santa and sleigh for
Orbiter? ;)

Offline StarLost

Reply #9 - 04 December 2004, 04:27:39
Oh, Oh, Oh,....

And when you figure out how to make that big red nose light, without using a thruster, let me know will you, please?

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #10 - 06 December 2004, 08:23:07
heh, good luck.

Anyway, macstu23 how are the skins proceeding? Finished yet?

~~~

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #11 - 06 December 2004, 11:20:16
Not to be silent in the matter, I have had the joy of riding in a greyhound for about a 12 hour trip. (and will do so
again for the holidays) from chicago to NW arkansas. maybe not as long as you guys, but that's a full "wake-cycle" for
me, so it's pretty long.  ;)

have any of you been in one that broke down, and you got stranded in the middle of nowhere, adding a couple extra
unwelcome hours to the trip? :)

Ah, and using your legs during a pit-stop after hours of being cramped up in that seat? there's nothing more pleasant
than getting your blood circulating again. ;)

but anyway, maybe I'll tackle a christmas-themed DG3 skin. It would be interesting... :)

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #12 - 06 December 2004, 13:10:38
hehe, well, never round a Grayhound, naturally, but I was on a bus from Ljubljana to Amsterdam a few years ago,
that takes something in the order of 20-22 hours. After boarding the bus, I realized my passport was out-of-date..
The guide said, I can either get off or try my luck at the Austrian border.. They "may" not notice.. :doubt: And
somehow they didn't.. but I had a :hot: of a time until after the border.. The Germans were even less attentive, while
there was no border to Netherlands anymore at the time. So I was abroad with an invalid passport. :)

On it's way back it broke down somewhere near Cologne in the middle of the night (fortunatelly it was May).. But it's
nice to stretch out your legs. Don't know about Grayhounds, but our busses tend to be quite comfortable, especially if
they are "international" and relatively new ... so you're no more tired than sitting on a plane, less the default higher
comfort of plane. :)

Do the Santa skin and I'll do Hell's Angels :)

Cheers,

~~~

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #13 - 06 December 2004, 14:01:15
It's not that greyhound buses are uncomfortable. (though they aren't exactly luxury vehicles, they are quite a step up
from the common public transporation busses in chicago.)

It's just that I'm so tall, and my legs kinda get squeezed, and when I get out, I can streeeech! :)

I do need to get a passport someday. the only thing that really makes me to not get one is the biometrics crap
they're putting on the new ones. That and they discourage you from smiling, the pricks. :grrr: (something about
neutral expressions being easier to identify)

just for that fact alone, I'd be tempted to give off the biggest smirk (or grimace) my face could pull off. :)

Of course, they'd never *let* you stay still with that pose, so you'd have to let it rip just before the guy takes your
picture, which requires some reflexes and guts. if I pulled it off, they might force me to take another picture, but
maybe it might be too much trouble....

no way anyone could identify me then..... ;)

Anyway, I'll look into that christmas skin. I just have to find that skin development directory again, it's been to long
since I last used it. I think my old skin was handed out on my birthday? jeez, 5 months ago... I'll be sure to update
that one as well.

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #14 - 06 December 2004, 14:15:21
hehe, no comment on the passports (I'm just glad I don't live in the US.. biometrics here don't bother me)

BTW: Whatever happened to that.. construction-type vehicle skin you once mentioned your're working on.. You know
the kind that has yellow-black strips at sensitive places or on edges.. I seem to recall showing me some sort of
preview.. I'd like to actually make a "space garbage truck" skin, if you are willing to share what you've made so far.

~~~

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #15 - 06 December 2004, 14:27:24
Oh, that... I had forgotten all about it... 8o

sure... I took a look, but I'm afraid the stripes were deleted. I distinctly remember that they were not met with much
enthusiasm, so I guess I scrapped them. That angers me greatly, I should have merely hidden that layer... :grrr:...

I'll work on it again, but I've got 30 minutes before I have to leave for school today. maybe in the afternoon...

Offline macstu23

Reply #16 - 11 December 2004, 01:23:45
DocHoliday wrote:
heh, good luck.

Anyway, macstu23 how are the skins proceeding? Finished yet?

The BA skin has been completed. Once Dan has checked it out I'm sure it'll be available at this site very soon.
The Greyhound may take a little longer, as I'm really busy just now building a new kitchen.  I'll do my best to
keep it's deadline with Santa however.

p.s. I'll post a pic when it's finished......The Greyhound skin that is, not my kitchen.

p.p.s. What the hell, I'll post a pic of my new kitchen as well.

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #17 - 13 December 2004, 08:26:10
:) cool!

~~~

Offline She_Da_Lier

Reply #18 - 14 December 2004, 18:15:06
OMG, I wish skin SDK would work on my old Photoshop 4 :cry:

============================

EU Software Patents directive rejected - http://ffii.org
http://strony.aster.pl/she_da_lier/

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #19 - 15 December 2004, 08:24:42
I'm almost done with the Shuttle-A2.. It's a lot of work... having to sharpen up the 256 texture :) But it will be niiice

~~~

Offline She_Da_Lier

Reply #20 - 15 December 2004, 11:53:39
Cool

============================

EU Software Patents directive rejected - http://ffii.org
http://strony.aster.pl/she_da_lier/

Offline Atom

• Legend
Reply #21 - 15 December 2004, 18:37:34
Niiiiiiice! :)

« Last Edit: 15 December 2004, 18:37:35 by Atom »

Intel Pentium 4 630 3Ghz|1024mb 400mhz DDR RAM|ASUS P5P800-VM|Nvidia GeForce 6200 256mb|Creative Sound Blaster Pro Value!|Windows XP SP2