See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Just a social call ...  (Read 11417 times)

Offline StarLost

30 August 2012, 15:01:45
Been lurking about again, for a while, seeing what's been happening with this forum.

Any of the old crowd still around (pre-2007)?

Cheers all.

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #1 - 04 September 2012, 13:31:11
Funny how I promised a big 4th of july post what.. last year? Never got around to it. my primary problem is none of the older guys seem to post here regularly, so naturally, I don't check often.... At present I kinda sorta hang out at the Academagia forums, which has its own group of people to talk to and a helpful mod to answer any questions you might have about the game's setting. It also transcends national boundaries which also makes me think of here, which was my first real forum, and I'll never fully abandon it... ;) Even if I don't check it so often *Sniff*.... As a point of humor, my bookmark to the page leads directly to the original GUPT, which was by far the best one as far as I'm concerned.

Overall though, the only thing I can report is that I am officially (thankfully) out of the US Navy. I miss a few things about it.. Mostly the people. You really get to know another person when they're trapped in the same crappy position as you..

Anyway. Not much else. Would be nice to talk to the old gang again... I did briefly bump into Atom on skype of all places a while back.. Which is funny cuz I virtually never use that. Don't even have it installed on my current rig.

I'll be looking forward to talking with any of the others, if you're all still out there!

Edit: That means you too, DAN!!!! PS: how's the leg you broke whenever ago that was?

Post Edited ( 09-04-12 13:41 )

Offline StarLost

Reply #2 - 21 September 2012, 22:17:03
Yeah, there a few of us around ... and good to hear from you again, Freespace.  It's been quite a while.

Know how you feel about getting back into civvy  life, though it has been a few years for me. Both of my sons were also servicemen (Royal Canadian Air Force, youngest was a Lt. and eldest was a Capt.) though both are out now too.  Always a tough transition because civvy street does not understand that the military is a culture, not a job.

Take care my friend. We'll see you around here.

Starlost

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #3 - 22 September 2012, 01:27:56
freespace2dotcom a écrit:
Edit: That means you too, DAN!!!! PS: how's the leg you broke whenever ago that was?

Fine, 100%, I just broke my wrist 3 month ago :)

Nice to hear about you also.

Dan

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #4 - 24 September 2012, 11:13:47
DanSteph wrote:
freespace2dotcom a écrit:

Fine, 100%, I just broke my wrist 3 month ago :)

Nice to hear about you also.

Dan

Your wrist now!? 8o

Well, at least you can still type. :)

Anyway, As I said, I'll always lurk here. Peace out, my friends, and no matter what tempests may arise from the scummy economic policies of the world's governments, just remember one thing.

It'll all work out in the end. ;)

Offline reekchaa

Reply #5 - 02 October 2012, 19:08:59
Yaaay to pre-2007'ers!
I guess I gotta pop in here more often... Major upgrades happening!  
Too bad I missed the beta testing team :bebe:

~ the Reekchaa

Offline StarLost

Reply #6 - 05 October 2012, 23:35:59
reekchaa !!!

Hey, man ... long time, no hear.  Glad to see you're still around.

Offline reekchaa

Reply #7 - 09 October 2012, 00:32:09
Still around :applause:

I had a bit of a hospital experience 4 months ago in the form of a mini-Stroke, so Very happy to still be around :arg:
Dan's wrist breakage sounds pretty bad.  Maybe he needs more Calcium... or maybe just less Stroking-off ?  ;)
...gotta take the daily Aspirin !

~ the Reekchaa

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #8 - 09 October 2012, 04:18:32
Hey, Hey how ya old chaps ? :beer:

What is happening in this thread ? The 3d age revolution or what ? :badsmile:

Dan

Offline StarLost

Reply #9 - 11 October 2012, 01:57:22
No ... just trying to get something going, again.

DanSteph wrote:
Hey, Hey how ya old chaps ? :beer:

What is happening in this thread ? The 3d age revolution or what ? :badsmile:

Dan

Dan ... is Doc Holiday still around?

Maybe not age revolution ... how about "legends in our own mind"?

Reekchaa ... sorry to hear about your hospital stay. Hope all is well, though I know exactly what you're going through.  Had my own experience of that almost 20 years ago. Took me about 5 years to rewire the damage.  Believe it or not, Tai Chi, was my best therapy.  Lately, I've had the "joy" of dealing with sun damage more than 30 years ago.  Skin cancer tumour removed, but testing still ongoing to see if the damned thing has spread.

But still cycling, still breathing, still appreciating pretty girls.

Post Edited ( 10-11-12 02:00 )

Offline reekchaa

Reply #10 - 11 October 2012, 23:03:02
I figure if you can't appreciate Pretty Girls anymore, then something reeeally bad must be going on ;)
Gotta find more info on local Tai Chi classes... and do less research on heavy-cream mochaccinos from now on :fou:
3d age Revolution is here, Dan!  (socially speaking, of course)  :beer:

~ the Reekchaa

Offline sunshine135

• I fly by the seat of my pants!
Reply #11 - 12 October 2012, 19:40:28
Hey reekchaa! Glad to see that your number hasn't been prematurely punched. I'm still in and out from time to time as well. I was working on some of my own stuff, but have to put that on hold for awhile. I'm still around as well, but have too much family stuff on my lap to help with beta testing this go round.

I will pray for your continued good health. Dan's too! He keeps breaking stuff.

Cheers and Beers,

"Sun Dog"

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #12 - 03 November 2012, 10:39:50
Now this is a little annoying! And I thought I was checking the forum, yet I missed these updates! I swear Dan You're gonna need to get an email script here to let us know if a certain thread needs to be looked at again! :)

Hey,  reekchaa!

I still have one of Doc's old email addresses but it's no good anymore. His old site is still (barely) up so I'd guess he's still around somewhere or else he'd have lost it quite some time ago.

Anyway, SINCE he doesn't seem to be around!!! I think I'll have some fun here.

DOCHOLIDAY LIKES IT WHEN PEOPLE SAY BAD THINGS ABOUT HIM!!!

Ah, good times! :)

Offline reekchaa

Reply #13 - 16 November 2012, 03:13:41
Dangit!  ...I guess Doc really Is gone... on a Looooong Holiday (at least for the time being)  

btw, free, I don't think I ever mentioned that I helped develop the Freespace series of games a bit while working at Interplay in the 90s (rendering some space scenes for Volition, making recommendations, and of course playing the Hell out of them)... nice games to name yourself by :)
http://www.interplay.com/games/freespace.php
Sunshine, great to see you around too, bud!  We're not THAT old yet, right?   :friend:

~ the Reekchaa

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #14 - 17 November 2012, 04:29:53
It's a small world after all. ;)

It's a shame we'll never see a freespace 3 but, meh. Without you in the gamemaking process for it I doubt it would be worth playing. :beer:

Anyway, the last post Doc made on the site was a few years ago. He's bound to turn up eventually if we all just keep talking smack about him. :) Force him to respond once he sees all of this. He probably doesn't visit because of how we all just fell apart. :(

Anyway.

DOCHOLIDAY ACTUALLY DOESN'T LIKE HOLIDAYS OR DOCTORS!!!

Post Edited ( 11-17-12 04:30 )

Offline reekchaa

Reply #15 - 20 November 2012, 06:09:49
True dat :) We may not get F3, but the PC Space Sim world is far from dead... http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/

~ the Reekchaa

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #16 - 22 January 2013, 19:11:24
Knock knock?

(where's my smeggin' sig) :)

(ah there it is! Dan, respect for keeping my data in the DB for so many years!)

Post Edited ( 01-22-13 19:12 )

~~~

"Mood is a matter of choice. I choose to have fun!" -Vidmarism No 15

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #17 - 23 January 2013, 10:43:20
Oh and since this is the age of Social Networking, don't be strangers guys!

http://www.facebook.com/janez.vidmar

~~~

Offline StarLost

Reply #18 - 24 January 2013, 06:11:33
DocHoliday wrote:
Knock knock?

(where's my smeggin' sig) :)

(ah there it is! Dan, respect for keeping my data in the DB for so many years!)

OMG !!!

The "old boys" are coming back to roost !!!

Doc, it's good to see you are still alive!  Still hanging around Lubyanka?

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #19 - 24 January 2013, 17:36:19
Yeh, alive an kicking. My girlfriend and I've been running our translation business for almost 7 years now. Hard and competitive business but wouldn't trade it for an office job :)

Lubyanka? You prolly meant Ljubljana (Slovenia), I'm not Russian. If so, no we moved to a more "rural" town. Mostly for lower cost of living and closeness to nature.

How are you? Health treating you well? And the sons making you proud!

And the rest of yaz, bastadz? Oh, sorry... LIVING LEGENDS! :beer:

And you Dan. Damn you. I've been away from Orbiter for a few years now, then all of a sudden I stumble upon OrbiterSound 4!!! And the UCGO and the Arrow freighter and all the other goodies. As far as I'm concerned you are THE best programmer/designer on the planet. :top:

~~~

Offline StarLost

Reply #20 - 25 January 2013, 21:30:49
Lots of changes since you and I last corresponded ... for both of us.

I moved to Ottawa ... went back to college (yeah, even at my age) ... though I'm mainly here for therapy requirements.  And believe me ... the "scenery" at college these days ... is damned good "therapy".
DocHoliday wrote:
Yeh, alive an kicking. My girlfriend and I've been running our translation business for almost 7 years now. Hard and competitive business but wouldn't trade it for an office job :)

Well, that explains why I (we) lost track of you. Sounds like things are working out wonderfully.

? You prolly meant Ljubljana (Slovenia), I'm not Russian. If so, no we moved to a more "rural" town. Mostly for lower cost of living and closeness to nature.

You know what happens to memory as we become old bastards ... do you think I  could remember "Ljubljana" at 2 in the morning? Besides, perhaps only SiberianTiger would have caught that error.

How are you? Health treating you well? And the sons making you proud!

Healthwise ... it's a concern but mainly to family. It's a good thing we have a pretty good medical social system. Weekly visits to hospital are not the most fun way of spending time. Can't always hook up orbiter while otherwise occupied, either.

As for my sons ... you may remember they both ended up as Air Force officers. Eldest married two years ago and has just exitted the military. Youngest is doing his Masters at RMC (Royal Military College).  Can't help but be proud of them, though perhaps they are not so happy with Daddy every now and again.

And the rest of yaz, bastadz? Oh, sorry... LIVING LEGENDS! :beer:

Legends in our own minds, anyway!!

Anyway ... my old email addresses are still current. Perhaps you could pop into one of them and bring me better up to date.

Damned good to hear you are doing well.

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #21 - 28 January 2013, 06:50:36
Yeah, doc. My email address is also still active! Send me a line too, I'd love to hear what's been going on, and swap some stories!

Social media is the work of the devil though! ;) I don't touch that crap, though I will say that I can be found on youtube with the same screenname, though I don't post any videos or anything.

But seriously, when you can buy facebook data for next to nothing, I won't touch it with a 50ft pole.

It IS good to hear from you though.

I was slightly worried!

Post Edited ( 01-28-13 07:05 )

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #22 - 29 January 2013, 09:30:51
Thanks guys,

Well business could always be better but in this economy I can't really complain just be happy I didn't go bankrupt yet and work some more :)

Agree with you about Facebook, Free. But I always remember what my ex-ex boss told me: Never do or say things you wouldn't be prepared to yell in the middle of a square in your home town. So while I do use most of the social networks to some extent (haven't gotten to Tweeter yet), I don't go posting more private stuff than absolutely necessary. You know, the devil really IS in the details. :diable:

It's good for business though - you locate a friend from elementary school you haven't been in contact with for year, but who happens to be working at a large company now and just so happens to need your particular services at this particular instant and bam! :beer:

~~~

Offline reekchaa

Reply #23 - 29 January 2013, 19:26:03
bam! :beer: is right.
Just last week I was found by my entire 5th grade class that all live 3 time zones away!  <~Happy recollection times~> :eek:
 It's not good to invite Spam or broadcast your home address, but I don't mind yelling just about anything from the middle of L.A.  ;)  
Feel free to Friend me as well (https://www.facebook.com/JamFam) if you want to visit a little more of the world, see Endeavour, or get some groovy Land Cultivation tips from the Doctor of Holidays.  I'm already Doc's Pal now.  ....Forever!  :turning:  :badsmile:

Welcome Back, Doc!
[/u]

~ the Reekchaa

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #24 - 30 January 2013, 01:01:03
I understand that, doc. Only too well, and in this day and age there's so much information flying around you're at a small disadvantage if you choose not to partake in that media, and that gap will only increase in time.

Still, I'm a stubborn person so I politely refuse to play along, as it gives a bit more of a headache for those who wish to mine my info for liabilities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7pYHN9iC9I

But enough of that, it has a foul taste to it.

anyone remember this?

I'm looking for the peace summit picture I made of us all a while back... Does anyone still have it? It'd be a shame to lose...

Post Edited ( 01-30-13 01:09 )