See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: STS-51L Tribute package now available  (Read 2050 times)

Offline David413

03 August 2012, 11:19:35
This is my tribute package for the last flight of Challenger; STS-51L.  Based upon historical documentation and personal development of orbital state vectors for the expected flight events I have created the following scenarios using the available components from the "STS_Payloads" package and my previously release extension package for the Shuttle Fleet.

FD1 Launch scenario - Challenger was launched at 16:38 GMT on 1/28/1986.  Following MECO, and the two OMS burns, the shuttle was in a 153 x 153 nm (~ 285 x 285 km) orbit.

FD1 TDRS Deploy - at 10 hours, 01 minutes mission elapsed time (MET) the TDRS_B satellite was scheduled for deployment.  After this deployment, an OMS-3 burn established a 177 x 153 nm orbit for around 19 hours, then an OMS-4 burn returned Challenger to a 153 x 153 nm orbit.

FD3 SPARTAN Deploy - On flight day 3 the SPARTAN-HALLEY free-flying satellite was deployed to study Halley's comet in the UV spectrum.  Lacking an actual mesh and model of the SPARTAN I have used the available SPARTAN-1 satellite to simulate SPARTAN-HALLEY.  Using the RMS, select the preloaded joint sequence "1" to maneuver the RMS near the satellite grapple point, the move in (using the +Z motion) to grapple.  Use joint sequence "2" to move into the deployment attitude, then at a MET of 2/05:51, release the satellite and move away.

FD5 SPARTAN Retrieve - Following approximately 40 hours of free flight a rendezvous was conducted to capture SPARTAN.  The scenario begins on the R-bar of the satellite; translate to near the SPARTAN and then grapple the satellite.  Place it back into the carrier and arrest it into the bay for a return to Earth.

FD7 Entry to KSC - Using AutoFCS, target a landing back at Kennedy on runway 15.

FD7 Entry to EDW - As an alternative, assume bad weather at KSC and land back at Edwards AFB, again using AutoFCS.

Godspeed to Challenger and her crew; let this package be a celebration of their dream.

Dave

STS-51L Package at Simviation

Offline Mantis

Reply #1 - 03 August 2012, 18:11:19
Good stuff!  Thanks David.

« Last Edit: 03 August 2012, 18:11:19 by Mantis »