See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to Network MFD's?  (Read 2186 times)

Offline NASSAC

19 August 2009, 07:37:05
 It has been a long time since I have been active on the Orbiter Forum. I have been very busy teaching, ministering
and getting more involved in the Civil Air Patrol at Dover Air Force Base. But I am getting ready to teach another year
at my local Junior High School and my plans are to use Orbiter quite extensively as a teaching tool with my NASSAC
simulator in the classroom. But I have a question concerning the use of MFD´s on networked computers.

I have been using VMC2 over a network and it works really well but is somewhat limited as a VMC. A few bugs here
and there but for the most part it works pretty well. I thought that it would be nice if some how we could get some of
the MFD addons for Orbiter to work via remote network. (Like FS uses FSUIPC with Project Magenta or FS Commander
etc.) I am not sure how all this would work so I am looking for feed back from some of the Forum members that have
worked in this area. I am not a programmer but know just enough to get into trouble. I am willing to learn what I
need but would like some advice from people like Dan and others.

1.   Is it possible to run MFD´s like the Orbit MFD, or addons like TransX and others from a networked
computer?  I know that a.dll interface would be needed like that which VCM uses placing  "Orbpic.dll" in the plugin
module folder. But VMC does not allow you to access some of the data fields needed to run these more sophisticated
MFD´s.  
2.   If it is possible how would you go about accomplishing the goal of using networked computers to operate
remote MFD´s  as instrument panels as they do within Orbiter on the main computer/server.
3.   Or, how could one expand the capabilities of VMC2 to allow more data fields to be accessed?
4. IS there a way to use the remote MFD feature within Orbiter over a network?
5.   If it is possible and if someone would like to submit a proposal to me for doing the job, I would be willing to

NASSAC DIRECTOR
John

Offline NASSAC

Reply #1 - 26 August 2009, 03:45:15
I have found the answer to my own questions. As I had hoped someone has already begun to work on networking  
MDU displays for Orbiter. I found just what I was looking for at the following link. And it worls with VMC2. Now in the
NASSAC SImulator I can have a full windshield view of the earth and still have instruments up in the MDU's on a
networked computer. Go to http://www.pixelcartoon.it/orbiter/meds/help.html  for more information.

John

NASSAC DIRECTOR
John

Offline NASSAC

Reply #2 - 30 August 2009, 02:00:58
I have updated the NASSAC simulator with MEDS. I have posted some pictures of it on our new Website. Go to  
http://www.nassac.org/cgi-bin/photoalbum/view_album/190083    to see the pictures of this update. I have also put
links to MEDS and VCM2 on our Website links section. http://www.nassac.org/favorite_links.html for those interested
in downloading these files. :turning:

« Last Edit: 30 August 2009, 02:00:58 by NASSAC »
NASSAC DIRECTOR
John