See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Created trajectory software "Numitras"  (Read 2591 times)

Offline codester

22 January 2009, 17:54:38
I don't know if it was a good idea but some weeks ago I decided that it wouldn't be too difficult to create a program that
simulates a vessel's trajectory. So I started working on it and here's what I've done so
far:http://codester.bplaced.net/index.php?slab=numitras (don't worry about the language, I'm sure you'll find the download
link and the software itself is in English).

Its accuracy and performance isn't great yet and there are still some functions missing (manoeuvers, trajectory
information...) but I'd like to hear your opinions concerning this modest attempt to provide an even better preparation of
Interplanetary Transfer than TransX and IMFD do.

To get started:

-Download the program(.NET Framework 2.0 required)
-Add a vessel via the "+" button and configure it.
-See what happens using the Simulation button. A smaller "step" value will increase the precision of the calculated
trajectory but also the time it takes to simulate it.

Offline Dig Gil

Reply #1 - 28 January 2009, 15:49:48
If you are going to make a better MFD that those you mention try to make it "dumb proof" too (manuals and
instructions are for idiots:badsmile: )

Post Edited ( 01-28-09 15:50 )

At Light Speed and Beyond!!!

Offline reekchaa

Reply #2 - 28 January 2009, 19:43:29
Hmm... Since it's not primarily developed through 'English' channels, I'm not sure he's quite ready to make it
"dumb american proof" :badsmile:

~ the Reekchaa

Offline Colonel Sanders1

Reply #3 - 11 February 2009, 16:38:12
Hey....... But you've got a point. We americans are pretty stupid. well all of them except my family.

Offline computerex

Reply #4 - 27 February 2009, 14:16:43
Wow, nice work Numitras. Could be useful in the future for maybe planning something for Orbiter.

Offline codester

Reply #5 - 12 March 2009, 17:08:59
Thanks for trying Numitras. I soon will release a new and improved version (maneuvers!). But there is still a considerable
problem and I thought you can help me with that: The accuracy of the calculated trajectories is still very bad since Numitras
uses a propagation method that isn't really ingenious...

So I was looking for other methods and discovered that Orbiter uses methods called "Runge-Kutta".
As far as I understand all this mathematics stuff in Wikipedia, Runge-Kutta helps you to solve ordinary differential equations.
This means that I first need to have an equation to solve, doesn't it? Does anyone know where to find information on this?

« Last Edit: 12 March 2009, 17:08:59 by codester »