See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is it just me or is the DGIV not de-orbit compatable?  (Read 13589 times)

Offline Pirx

Reply #25 - 28 April 2008, 12:03:21
Just search for "BaseSyncMFD download".

Offline Urwumpe

Reply #26 - 28 April 2008, 12:28:58
Also, you can well use IMFD 5.1 for planning deorbit burns. It is in fact extremely accurate.

Also: You should avoid orbit plane changes. They costs lots of fuel and are in 80% of all situations avoidable. For Earth
Reentry, you can way until the base is under your orbit.

Offline McGlazd

Reply #27 - 28 April 2008, 16:02:53
Google BaseSyncMFD download tutorial.

And you will have fun. :)

Offline unknown.exe

Reply #28 - 28 April 2008, 23:52:23
Ok I have the MFD... but the tutorial for it is actually wrong. It is telling me values that are incorrect :( Can
someone please give me a quick play-by-play on how to deorbit from the ISS to KSC using the BaseSync MFD? It is a wee bit confoosing...

Post Edited ( 04-28-08 23:53 )

Go outside, the graphics are amazing...

Offline McGlazd

Reply #29 - 29 April 2008, 12:31:43
I can give you a quick page-by-page on how to read the tutorial :)

« Last Edit: 29 April 2008, 14:04:22 by McGlazd »

Offline McGlazd

Reply #30 - 29 April 2008, 12:40:26
Oh well...

Target cape canaverale with your BaseSynchMFD. You first need to align your plan on KSC in direct mode. Click on Deorbit and
enter the fellowing values : angle 2°, anticipation 16,5°, altitude 80km. Wait your Trl (in ecliptic) to reach the deorbit
Trl. While retrograde engage your main trust until Tbt near 0. Redo an align on KSC in direct mode. Check your vessel for
reentry. Open AerobrakeMFD with Cape canaveral the target. Use your manual reentry autopilot PRO104SPEC40. Play with your bank and AOA to place your landing point on Cape canaveral. You can visual your projected path in the Graph/Map mode of AerobrakeMFD. Overshoot KSC by a few kilometers. You will pass over KSC at Mach 2.5. Take control of your vessel, make a wide turn during your descent and safely land your glider without using any boosters.

Message modifié ( 29-04-2008 12:41 )

« Last Edit: 29 April 2008, 14:04:22 by McGlazd »

Offline Urwumpe

Reply #31 - 29 April 2008, 14:04:22
For the DG-XR1, I lately used the following values, which worked very well:

Reentry AAngle: 1.2°
Anticipation: 45°
Hint: ~3000 seconds (Not sure if this is useful, I just kept the value)

Increase the time until the deorbit burn until you have a nice minimum. Ideally, this is the time until your orbit passes
over the landing site.

Now, just use the reentry guidance system you like. I used the XR1 attitude hold, set it to 37.5° AOA and 0° bank for the
beginning. For landing accurate on a base, you now need to hit 16 m/s deceleration. You achieve this by manipulating your
descent speed. The faster you sink into the atmosphere, the higher is your deceleration and the heat. So, once your vertical
speed increased to zero (level flight) after passing EI, you start banking to a side to let the vertical speed increase
slowly again. This causes your spacecraft to fly turns - which is pretty helpful to stay on course.

When deceleration increases closer to 16 m/s, reduce bank angle until vertical acceleration is getting close to 0.
When the angle to the landing site gets too large, invert your bank angle (for example: 45° Left bank -> 45° right bank).
You now turn into the other direction = you fly S-turns.

When speed drops below 3000 m/s, you should be about 300 km away from your target. Now is the time to change from reentry at
high AOA to a careful glide. Lower the AOA slowly, and keep on banking to stay on course. DON'T GET TOO MUCH VERTICAL
SPEED (<+30 m/s).

When AOA is below 10°, disable  attitude hold autopilot and do the final phase manual. Acquire the base on HSI MFD, and use
your stomach feeling to tell you, which kind of approach would be the best to get to the runway. Don't attempt flying
directly to the runway. That will mean you have to loose speed early and might not make it to the runway. Instead, fly over
the center of the runway in 10 km altitude and wait a few seconds. Then do a long turn at about 2G, towards the runway again.
Don't worry about loosing altitude that way. With some training, you should get a feeling to start this turn accurate enough
to be finally lined up (almost) with the runway,  in a cute -20° glide.

The rest is left as exercise for the reader.

« Last Edit: 29 April 2008, 14:04:22 by Urwumpe »