See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: @Dan Steph: Suggestion - FSPassenger linked from this website  (Read 5320 times)

Offline ar81

11 February 2008, 21:19:23
Dan, you are running this site, and you make a living as an indie dev out of FSPassengers, a creation of yours...
I wonder why is it that this site has no visible link to your FSPassengers site.

May I suggest that you add a link to it in a visible place in the header?
After all websites live out of advertising, and since FSPassengers is your creation, you should be able to advertise
your own products.

From a practical point of view, if you can get some extra bucks because someone from here purchased FSPassengers,
it also means that you may have some extra time to work on Orbiter addons, so there is a practical reason for that
link to be here.  Basically FSPassengers would be sponsoring Orbiter your addons in one way or another.

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #1 - 12 February 2008, 02:08:53
Well,

The idea behind this is to seperate my "professionnal" and "private" life.  Orbiter is an hobby and usually peoples
don't make advertising for their work at their golf club or whatewer ;) (notice I never initiated a thread on FsP myself)

I love programming for FsP but sometime it's nice also to have a space without money pressure.

Dan

Offline Pagir

• Legend
Reply #2 - 12 February 2008, 02:38:18
Dan has great marketing skills... :doubt:

Pagir

Pagir

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #3 - 12 February 2008, 07:47:50
I for sure lack some abilities in this domain ;)

Dan

Offline ar81

Reply #4 - 12 February 2008, 14:17:31
I see your noble intentions, Dan.
But truth is that if Orbinauts get to buy FSPassengers, you would have more time for your personal space: Orbiter.
Think of it as a golf club that has greater chances of continue existing if the advertising is there...

If you were a multibillion dollar man, Dan, advertising would not be appropriate.
But truth is that you are an indie dev, and your family depends on that income.
So the logic of adding that link would be "help me help you", for as you have less economical concerns, you will be
more concerned about Orbiter.  And I bet that some people might be able to buy FSPassengers as a way to support
your effort.
The idea is that food on the table comes first, and entrepreneural activity is about saving money for times of low demand, for business can wait, but feeding your family can't.

There is a direct relationship between the time you use for MSFS addon and the time you use for Orbiter.
Despite of your noble intentions, the ancient need for food on the table prevails.

Any opinions from orbinauts?

Post Edited ( 02-12-08 14:20 )

Offline jacquesmomo

• Le budget !!!
  • Legend
  • Plus on rate, plus on a de chances de réussir !..
Reply #5 - 13 February 2008, 01:08:32
ar81 a écrit:
But truth is that if Orbinauts get to buy FSPassengers, you would have more time for your personal space: Orbiter.
Any opinions from orbinauts?
Yes! me!:hot:

I think that Dan is right because he has no utility to make pub : when the new FsPassenger is ready, all orbinauts will
know that and run and run (2 times :) ) to buy it. I hope so...
I'm sure for most of us. so...

oh...sorry if my english is not so good: it is easier (more easy ? :wonder: ) to read than to wright...:siffle:

Mes add-ons sont là !

Offline DanSteph

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Hein, quoi !?
    • FsPassengers
Reply #6 - 13 February 2008, 04:21:38
ar81 a écrit:
But truth is that you are an indie dev, and your family depends on that income.
So the logic of adding that link would be "help me help you", for as you have less economical concerns,
you will be more concerned about Orbiter.

Don't underestimate the mind tranquility that give me this place. I feel completely free here, no obligations, nothing.
It's all about free dedication.

When you start to talk money some (rare) peoples act as they have all the right just because they paid to you the
amount of one restaurant or because you advertise for your products.

Don't be wrong, I have joy on FsP site and forum aswell and there is valuable peoples on both but when I want to
really relax and speak about whatewer with a complete freespeech and mind I come here.

Maybe this is invaluable, being independant is a lot of pressure and If I snap a brainwire the result would be the same for my familly.

Dan

Message modifié ( 13-02-2008 04:37 )

Offline ar81

Reply #7 - 13 February 2008, 14:07:02
Ok.  This is not what I would have done, because I see income as a source of funds, so if I have money then I could
dedicate some time to Orbiter without caring about money anymore.

But also, to me, being "rich" is to have enough money to make an ordinary living so you don't have to care about
money.  So "rich" in the personal level is not having little money so you worry about not having food on the table, or
too much (like a Forbes multibillion dollar celebrity) so you worry about people trying to take it from you.  So as I see
it you are "rich" in the sense that richness is to have a peaceful and ordinary life, filled with the delight of enjoying
those little moments that makes us more human.

Since the life of an indie entrepreneur is a life of making money and since orders don't use to come on a regular basis,
but sometimes you have lots of orders and sometimes you have none, I wanted to make sure that even in those
moments of low demand you are still "rich" (under the definition I used before).

This is why, if I was you, I would seize my personal website to advertise what I sell for a living.
But I understand that you keep this site "off duty" and on a personal level.
Probably I was raised in the world of internet by some material on internet marketing, and I see internet as a way to
advertise and bring what you have to the world.

I was raised by the principles of internet marketing written by an IBM internet marketing manager, and when I tried
to put those principles to the test, I created my website ( http://www.geocities.com/alpharomeo81/MainMenu.html )
as an experiment.  But since all experiments come to an end, it was left there, unattended, and I learned a few tricks
on internet marketing along the way.  I also learned about basic elements of website design with
http://selfpromotion.com/

As the experiment was over I did not host my own site anymore, so I had my materials hosted elsewhere, just like
these images I made as fan art for Star Control II http://starcontrol.classicgaming.gamespy.com/fan/3drender13.shtml

Offline Urwumpe

Reply #8 - 13 February 2008, 14:29:21
:baaa:

Offline ar81

Reply #9 - 13 February 2008, 16:28:11
:blbl: :friend:

Post Edited ( 02-13-08 16:28 )

Offline Urwumpe

Reply #10 - 13 February 2008, 16:41:23
:beer: :up:

Well, now that everything had been said, that had to be said...

:stupid:

Offline Hubleman

Reply #11 - 13 February 2008, 17:17:15
How about some beers and some girls ey? :beer: :beer: :beer: :friend: :friend: :friend: :badsmile:

« Last Edit: 13 February 2008, 19:43:36 by Hubleman »

Offline ar81

Reply #12 - 13 February 2008, 19:12:32
:stupid: Me too :stupid: :badsmile: :beer:

Hubleman wrote:
How about some beers and some girls ey? :beer: :beer: :beer: :friend: :friend: :friend: :badsmile:

How about some hot girls like these...

OMG, this is too offensive to my eyes... :badsmile:

Post Edited ( 02-13-08 19:18 )

« Last Edit: 13 February 2008, 19:43:36 by ar81 »

Offline Urwumpe

Reply #13 - 13 February 2008, 19:43:36
Thats really offensive. This is a spaceflight forum, dude!

That is hot:

:love:

« Last Edit: 13 February 2008, 19:43:36 by Urwumpe »