See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OT - The problem of patents and innovation  (Read 1284 times)

Offline ar81

01 February 2008, 19:52:09
I got this in my mail, from an american friend.

In the annals of innovation, 1952 was a respectable year. It brought us the barcode, the heart pacemaker,
and the first automobile airbag.

But, think about the 56 years since. We´ve sent astronauts to the moon, discovered DNA, and created the integrated
circuit, optical fiber and mobile phones, not to mention the entire PC industry and the World Wide Web.

Amazingly, though, 1952 also marks the last year the United States Congress fundamentally overhauled the U.S. law
on patents.

Our world has changed enormously since then and yet, we don´t have a patent system that takes those changes into
account.

On top of that, a series of small-scale tweaks to patent law over the past few decades has exacerbated the problem.

On top of that, a series of small-scale tweaks to patent law over the past few decades has exacerbated the problem.
Due to the unintended consequences of those actions, the system is now so out of kilter that it's causing
disincentives to innovation, and that's the last thing in the world we want.

For example, a perception that it´s easy to win patent suits and receive huge damage awards or settlements, even
when you have a weak patent or evidence of infringement, has led patent "speculators" to buy up patents expressly
for the purpose of suing patent owners.

About half of those lawsuits come from companies that do nothing other than sue companies for patent infringements.

The solution, however, isn´t to abandon the patent system, all we need is to make it fair

If USA is going to get out of the crisis, USA companies need more freedom to innovate and compete by innovation.  
USA in crisis could drag poor countries into poverty and cause lots of problems.

So I would like to see ideas and what changes could be proposed to lawmakers in USA to encourage innovation.

Post Edited ( 02-01-08 19:52 )

« Last Edit: 01 February 2008, 20:32:23 by ar81 »

Offline Urwumpe

Reply #1 - 01 February 2008, 20:32:23
Innovation comes only from creativity and skills - you not only need the idea, but also the knowledge to make this idea
reality. Also I strongly doubt that 1952 was the most innovative year in the USA.

Most patent systems in the world have not yet been updated properly for innovations like Internet and genetic technology,
thats the main problem we face today. Also most innovation cycles are already faster as the time it takes from application
until a patent was granted.

I think, a stronger limit for patents is a good idea in general. You really need to do something special to get the right to
protect your ideas from rivals for some time. Patents in general are something countering innovation. They only get a force
for innovation, when you need to be really creative to get one. As a reward for innovation - not as measure against other
companies and countries.

« Last Edit: 01 February 2008, 20:32:23 by Urwumpe »