See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help?  (Read 6090 times)

Offline WorstPilotEver

19 August 2006, 15:06:55
See my Username for my problem. I don't know how to move forward with anything, or take off at all. Please help.
That tutorial addon didnt help much if at all.

Offline Schimz

• Legend
Reply #1 - 19 August 2006, 15:33:51
burn prograde

Message modifié ( 19-08-2006 15:34 )

Offline WorstPilotEver

Reply #2 - 19 August 2006, 15:46:11
Burn Upgrade? Tell me where. And also, how would I make an interplanetary flight? I know how to fly and break
atmosphere with the one craft... the one with the two rotatable Aux pods 2 main thrusters and 2 fore/aft hover units

Offline Schimz

• Legend
Reply #3 - 19 August 2006, 16:01:36
read the manual (in Docs)

Offline WorstPilotEver

Reply #4 - 19 August 2006, 16:23:14
Ok, I'm comfortable with basic movement in Shuttle-A... But how do you turn in it? I use the Aux thrusters. and I've hit
a HUGE bug. I set it on 1000X to travel from earth to the moon, and it eventually starts rotating violently back at the
moon. Help?

Offline Schimz

• Legend
Reply #5 - 19 August 2006, 17:38:42
ctrl F4 -> scenario editor -> edit -> angular velocity : kill button

Offline WorstPilotEver

Reply #6 - 19 August 2006, 17:57:35
I need some real tips. Like tips on how to turn, take off, rotate without going into an Eternal Spin and how to plot
Interplanetary courses.

Offline Strogoff

Reply #7 - 19 August 2006, 18:14:35
Well you know, there's a very very good doc with a quickstart scenario. (p 17 of orbiter.pdf). Do you have try to follow
thoses instructions ?
Orbiter is NOT a push button-and-forget software, it's a reallistic simulator.. so, read the doc, go step to step..
If you are a real beginner, doing an interplanary course will take time to learn.. first, try to take-off, to orbit, to do a
rendez-vous, to land, to go to the moon...
To do an interpalanery flight, you have to use transx MFD (included in Orbiter ) or download IMFD (Interplanary MFD) and use
it..

A few answers to your questions :

First.. DO NOT accelerate time above 100x unless you have quit the earth.. and when you are in atmosphere.. 10x is a
maximum.. (or you'll go in eternal spin).

How to turn : well.. use 4 or 6 on your numpad .. or a joystick.

Take Off : full throtle : CTRL + +numpad
When your speed is above 100 m/s, press and hold 2 on numpad.
... see the Orbiter's manual for further instructions...

Offline WorstPilotEver

Reply #8 - 19 August 2006, 18:43:52
Okay... I can't find the Manual, I forgot to put it in a folder and now it's all floating about on my 'D' drive in no order. I
need to know how to use the Engines on Atlanta, and need to know how to move/Dock with things with the
Dragonfly.

Offline oli_chose123

Reply #9 - 19 August 2006, 20:01:36
you just have to download the manual again. These things aren't easy to explain on a forum. It's always better to
learn something by ourselve.

Offline Strogoff

Reply #10 - 19 August 2006, 22:45:54
WorstPilotEver.. you HAVE to read the Manual.. sorry for you.. I know it's hard.. but all people who use Orbiter have done
this.. no other choice.
You can dowload the manual here : http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/manual.html

Offline WorstPilotEver

Reply #11 - 20 August 2006, 12:35:17
Thanks for linking me to the manual :stupid:

Offline StarLost

Reply #12 - 21 August 2006, 10:15:51
Orbiter is not a "game" that you throw a quarter in and go. You have to have a bit of a knowledge base first. What the guys
above have said is good.  Two things I would suggest first, though, especially if you didn't recognize what prograde meant is
to find JPL's Basics of Space Flight ... and read it.

Them go the download section of  this site and get Trevor John's Tutorial. Read it first , then follow it. It might require a
scenario modification for the latest version of Orbiter, but if you need it when you get there, there is a bunch of people
that will help you out.

Just remember, be specific with your questions. The answers will come more quickly and make more sense.

Offline WorstPilotEver

Reply #13 - 21 August 2006, 12:33:29
Real specific question ahead. How does one know when you're in LEO? I stabilise all day long when I hit an area that
seems like LEO, I either wind up drifting forever or smashing into  the indian ocean.

Offline Daerandin

Reply #14 - 21 August 2006, 14:34:49
http://www.aovi93.dsl.pipex.com/play_in_space.htm

Download the document, read through it, try following the manouvers and eventually you will begin understanding
how it all works.

As orbiter is a simulator firmly based in realism it can be difficult getting the hang of it at first. I would suggest first
understanding and mastering basic orbital manouvers.

It can take some time, if I remember correctly I spent a month getting into orbit and docking to the ISS the first time I
found orbiter, but if you're as enthusiastic as most orbiter users you will eventually make interplanetary trips without
much effort.

But let's stick to the basics first, read 'Go play in space' that I provided a link to. It explains hust about everything you
need to know in a way that is easy to understand.

Offline Daerandin

Reply #15 - 21 August 2006, 14:39:41
WorstPilotEver wrote:
Okay... I can't find the Manual, I forgot to put it in a folder and now it's all floating about on my 'D' drive in no order. I
need to know how to use the Engines on Atlanta, and need to know how to move/Dock with things with the
Dragonfly.

Like I said in my previous post, leave the more complicated things out for later. The Space shuttle atlantis is way too
difficult for a newbie to try out. I've been playing orbiter for about one and a half year, and I only recently decided to
learn how to fly the atlantis (about 3 months ago).

You have to focus on one thing at a time. I would suggest using the Delta Glider that comes with the base orbiter
installation to learn the basics.

Offline StarLost

Reply #16 - 22 August 2006, 10:22:29
WorstPilotEver wrote:
Real specific question ahead. How does one know when you're in LEO? I stabilise all day long when I hit an area that
seems like LEO, I either wind up drifting forever or smashing into  the indian ocean.

See what I mean? You have to read a bit first.  How to know when you are in a stable orbit ... you have to know what
information the Orbit MFD is giving you. So long as you have sufficient altitude at periapsis and apoapsis you will have a
stable orbit. You will see this by the circle that represents the planetary surface being completely within the circle (or
ellipse) that represents your orbit. If your orbit intersects the planetary surface, chances are its a mission failure if you
weren't intending to land at that point.

You must familiarize yourself with the basics, first. We all have our favourites, and you have been given good information.
Really, start with Trevor Johns tutorial, with the ShuttlePB. Mars and environs is more conducive to learning than earth's
and more forgiving of error. Once you understand what the tutorial is doing you can apply it to other planets and craft.

And  believe what was said about the space shuttle (especially Dave's latest series). It is not a beginner's craft. It is not
forgiving of error, at all.

Offline Strogoff

Reply #17 - 23 August 2006, 08:37:49
WorstPilotEver a écrit:

Well, WorstPilotEver

You are in Low Eart Orbit when :
You are above atmosphere
You are in Orbit (it means that your periapsis is above atmosphere too)
You are below 1200 km from Earth.. (it's not so important!)

Now, if you don't understand what I am saying and how read those informations in you deltaglider in Orbiter..  You are NOT
ready to take-off..
As in the real life, In orbiter, you have to prepare your mission before take-off !!

Offline Daniel76

Reply #18 - 23 August 2006, 20:15:57
 ya ive got a dumb question how DO you use the 3 main boosters on the atlantis

Offline Strogoff

Reply #19 - 24 August 2006, 17:59:08
3 main boosters?? 8o A new model of  Space shuttle ? :doubt:

Offline oli_chose123

Reply #20 - 24 August 2006, 19:13:59
He's talking about the fact that the 3 main shuttle Engines do not fire when you press +.
I don'T know much about the space shuttle, but I think the engines are only for the launch sequence.

Post Edited ( 08-24-06 23:46 )

Offline Daerandin

Reply #21 - 25 August 2006, 12:38:38
Please, all of you new to orbiter READ THE MANUAL!

Besides, as many have already noted there are lots of tutorials found in the stickies on the official orbiter forum. Do
yourself a favour and try to learn what you can from reading them. It can get a bit frustrating trying to answer
questions that can be found in the manual and the very easily located tutorials on the official forum.

Besides, the 'Go play in space' document I provided a link to earlier in this thread will tell you all the basics.

Offline Daniel76

Reply #22 - 25 August 2006, 21:35:28
it wont even work during the launch sequence

Offline camander ale

Reply #23 - 28 October 2006, 21:43:11
could some one pleas tell me how and if i can turn off the inertia and how to stop the planets from moving.thanks

« Last Edit: 28 October 2006, 22:22:44 by camander ale »

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #24 - 28 October 2006, 22:22:44
This thread no longer serves any purpose... I'm closing it.

« Last Edit: 28 October 2006, 22:22:44 by DocHoliday »
~~~

"Mood is a matter of choice. I choose to have fun!" -Vidmarism No 15