See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 3d creation programs  (Read 5169 times)

Offline Tog

08 January 2006, 02:29:30
I know folks here in Orbiterville know about Blender and Anim'8'or, but did you guys know about Wings 3D (http://
www.wings3d.com)? It's freeware, as the other two are, and it's got most of the options such as subdivision
surfaces (translation: smooth organic-looking objects) that the other two have. It's got a simple interface that's loads
easier to use than Anim'8'or, and while it can't do animations and the texturing system is difficult, it's good for making
meshes for the other two programs. Plus, it imports/exports directly to/from .3ds format.

I'm going to be using it for ships for Orbiter, about the time I figure out just how the whole "set up the exhaust flames
and thrust and fuel and all that" bit goes. That's the hard part, for me anyway.

Offline StarLost

Reply #1 - 08 January 2006, 22:03:32
Not being able to do animations will be a serious limitation, but another freebie 3d modeling program is always welcome,
especially with the demise of support and development for gmax. When you have finished your modeling and have saved to the
3ds format, make sure you go to Vinka's site ( http://users.swing.be/vinka/ ) and get his 3ds to msh converter. While there
you will also find his spacecraft2.dll for quickly adding functionality to your ship (a very good method if your programming
skills are not strong enough to do your own ship dll files).

Animation for exhaust flames is hardly necessary, except maybe for the new Titans.

Another 3d modeling program you might want to take a look at is Blender. Learning curve is a little steeper for this one as
it handles things in a much different fashion than most modeling programs, but it has good tools and can handle the animation
that you might want to experiment with.

For doing textures and skinning models, I highly recommend going with The GIMP (of course, a freebie) as it has great
functionality as well as handling PSD support for layering (support missing in such drawing programs as Paint.NET).

Just a small reminder, if you are looking for resources for Orbiter, there is no better site than simcosmos
http://simcosmos.planetaclix.pt/ .

Offline MadMike

Reply #2 - 10 January 2006, 13:41:20
Gmax is not discontinued
only version 1.1 is unavailable
version Gmax1.2 including help / Textures and other related files is still available supported and free
I downloaded everything today onto a mates system and all works perfect

Offline StarLost

Reply #3 - 11 January 2006, 10:37:01
Thanks for the correction, Mike. I misunderstood a posting over on M6, I guess (since I'm using 3dsMax 6 it really didn't
affect me all that much, but I do hate to pass on misinformation).

Offline MadMike

Reply #4 - 11 January 2006, 10:41:22
StarLost wrote:
Thanks for the correction, Mike. I misunderstood a posting over on M6, I guess (since I'm using 3dsMax 6 it really
didn't
affect me all that much, but I do hate to pass on misinformation).

No problem
I also have 3dsMax6 but I dont use it at the moment, I still use Anim8tor
I find it more easy eaven if less capable

Offline paraflyer

Reply #5 - 12 January 2006, 02:56:30
Gmax isn't available at Autodesk's site anymore....however, the complete 1.2 suite (including tutorials, etc) is
available at www.turbosquid.com

...for those interested!

Post Edited ( 01-12-06 02:56 )

Xorth Tanovar, Chancellor
Coalition of Independent Moons

Offline Mauiman

Reply #6 - 28 August 2006, 02:39:07
A queastion arroused with this.... I have a ship that I really REALLY want to convert to a mesh but it is in a Blender
format. What is the appropriate program? MeshMaker? What?

I sure do love cruising through the asteroid feilds wrecklessly.
- Mauiman Captain and Owner of the Starship U.S.S. Celtic Blood NX-1007389 (Sovereign Class)

Offline Quick_Nick

Reply #7 - 28 August 2006, 14:14:55
I think i saw a blender-orbiter orbiter-blender program before somewhere...

« Last Edit: 28 August 2006, 14:14:55 by Quick_Nick »
-Nick