See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: (OffTopic) Further compressing MP3 files ...  (Read 4700 times)

Offline StarLost

18 September 2005, 20:54:14
A reflected question from M6 forums:

I want to further compress mp3 files for ease of emailing. Winzip and Winrar provide little improvement (yes I know that mp3s
are already compressed). Can anyone offer advice on how this might be accomplished?

Offline killingsnake

Reply #1 - 18 September 2005, 22:41:38
Isn't "multiple disk spanning" possible? Slicing the file in pieces, send them one by one, and putting the again
together on the other pc...

Offline StarLost

Reply #2 - 19 September 2005, 03:56:59
I suppose that would be one way. You would have to ensure that both ends of the transaction have the same software to
accomplish the rejoining again.

The thing is, suppose, for sake of argument, that I'm ripping a track from a CD for which I, of course, am in compliance with
the copyright. I rip it to a WMA file. Since my mp3 player, and my buddy's mp3 player won't accept the WMA file, I convert it
to mp3 (about twice as big as the original WMA file). Now I want to email the mp3 file to my buddy, but his ISP account has a
file size and an upload/download restriction on it. So I tried to  zip the mp3. Reduced it by about 250000 bytes ... big deal.

You see what I'm trying to accomplish.

Offline She_Da_Lier

Reply #3 - 19 September 2005, 15:03:01
Converting from WMA to MP3 is not a good idea, you'd better rip directly to MP3 or you'll get unrequired quality loss.
You may try some kind of P2P transfer (instant messager?) instead of email for transfering large files.

============================

EU Software Patents directive rejected - http://ffii.org
http://strony.aster.pl/she_da_lier/

Offline killingsnake

Reply #4 - 19 September 2005, 18:22:36
The first thing i would do is try to send it with msn messenger, something like  like She_Da_Lier says. An option?

Offline canadave

Reply #5 - 20 September 2005, 00:02:48
Ken,

Wouldn't it be easier to set up an FTP or web server on your computer, and let your friend download that way?  I run
a webserver off my computer just for that purpose (occasionally I have a friend who wants one of my files).

Dave

Offline StarLost

Reply #6 - 20 September 2005, 11:17:41
In a word, no. I guess it's part of my inborn paranoia, but I do my damnedest to ensure that no one can get into my computer.
Until very recently, I had no need to exchange these types of files. It's kind of a special project.

I was toying with the idea, in the next go round, of separating one of the units from my system to serve as a standalone
server, keeping it separate from the network. We'll see.

Pawel, in fact, I normally do rip directly from CD to MP3 using CDEX and Audacity to verify and modify as desired. When I'm
looking at a WMA file I use Goldwave as Audacity isn't licenced for any of the proprietary formats.

As for P2P and instant messaging, IM has never been my thing. I prefer to think about responses before I make them (this
might come as a surprise to some, considering some of my responses). If it could be demonstrated what the possible benefits
could be ...

Bear in mind that the anticipated traffic will be very light, like one or two files per month.

Offline Redburne

Reply #7 - 20 September 2005, 11:31:00
If both sides are running Windows, an easy to use file splitter can be found at

http://www.dekabyte.com/filesplitter/

Only the sender needs to install the splitter. It will split your file in a number of
smaller ones and will also create an executable to join the files again. I've used
it on a number of occasions.

As for your original question, there is only one way to further compress MP3
files: (re)encode them with a lower bit rate. This will, of course, also lower the
quality.

Offline canadave

Reply #8 - 20 September 2005, 18:02:42
In a word, no. I guess it's part of my inborn paranoia, but I do my damnedest to ensure that no one can get
into my computer.
Until very recently, I had no need to exchange these types of files. It's kind of a special project.
hehehe...suit yourself, but I'm not sure that running a webserver makes you any less secure than just being on the Internet to begin with.  Once you're online, you're a target no matter what you do.

FWIW, I use Abyss X2 webserver, which is small, easy to set up, and totally hackproof.  I leave my computer on 24/7, have been using the webserver for months, and not a single problem or hacking incident.  Actually, I've checked the logs, and a number of people have *tried* to attack it over the last few months, but the webserver handled it effortlessly.

If you're really worried about your computer's security, it seems to me that leaving a webserver running long enough for your friend to grab stuff (a day or so) would hardly be enough time for something bad to happen even in the worst case.

Post Edited ( 09-20-05 18:07 )

Offline SimFan

• Legend
Reply #9 - 22 September 2005, 23:30:41
Did you try WinLame (Google) with highest compression rates?

SF  :)

Offline StarLost

Reply #10 - 23 September 2005, 10:56:40
Jean, mon ami. I haven't heard your smiling voice in so long! I hope all has been well.

I haven't looked at WinLame, but on your advice, I will do so.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. It has been an education, to be sure.

« Last Edit: 23 September 2005, 10:56:40 by StarLost »