See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "sure, now he wants our help...."  (Read 3523 times)

Offline canadave

24 August 2005, 09:44:06
Hello again all,

Well, it's been a while, but I've re-caught the Orbiter bug, and I'm trying to make some time in between my busy
endeavours of the day to fool around with it a bit.  Too long a story to explain my extended hiatus--suffice to say
personal matters intruded.  Orbiter IS just a game (ack! no, sim!), after all.....doing home renovations and so on
takes precedence in my warped, twisted, albeit real world.

So now I throw myself on the mercy of my fellow DanOrbinauts.  I'm trying to use the 3.8.2 shuttles, and everything's
great except for one thing--MMU's.  Maybe someone can help me?

Here's what I have.  Raw install (base + patch), plus OS3.0, plus vinka's spacecraft2/multistage2 package, plus 3.8.2
shuttles.  I go to any 3.8.2 shuttle scenario (assume I've chosen one with the shuttle already in orbit).  I press K to
open the doors, then E to launch the EVA.

If I do this in external view mode, I can see the MMU immediately apparent, ever-so-slightly drifting upwards.  Neat
model.  Everything's great so far.

I press F3 and choose "Discovery_MMU" from the ships list.  My view switches to an external view that centres
around the MMU.  But guess what?  The MMU mesh is now missing!

I can control the MMU, translate, rotate, etc.  But it's invisible.  No mesh.

Any ideas?  I've racked my brain but can't think of the simple thing that I must be doing wrong.

Thanks everybody...and it's great to be (somewhat) back.

Dave

p.s. If anyone's seen Dan around, send him a radio communique and have him get in touch with me...he must have my email address on ignore or something ;) lol! :beer:

Post Edited ( 08-24-05 09:54 )

Offline harmsway

Reply #1 - 24 August 2005, 16:44:14
Yeah that puppy jumps the camera in real close. All you need to do is back the camera out some and the mesh will
appear.

Also there are so many fine shuttle add-ons now that getting them all to work is a headache. So I put together a
webpage to help out on this.

http://www.eharm.net/shop/freeware/orbiter/addons/atlantismod/atlantismod.html

Gene

Offline canadave

Reply #2 - 24 August 2005, 19:48:55
Hi Gene,

Thanks for the reply.  That was the first thing I thought of, though (that I was zoomed in too close), so I zoomed
out.  No luck--MMU mesh still not there.

I'll have a look at your webpage to see if there's any clues....

Cheers,
Dave

« Last Edit: 24 August 2005, 21:21:56 by canadave »

Offline canadave

Reply #3 - 24 August 2005, 19:54:31
*sigh*

Well, that's par for canadave's course....

My apologies, Gene....I did zoom out, but apparently I didn't zoom out *enough*.  I had a hunch you were probably
right and I was doing something wrong....so I just tried it, zoomed out a bit longer this time, and voila--there 'tis.  My
mistake!

Well, anyway, it's good to be back and as inept as ever ;)

Dave

« Last Edit: 24 August 2005, 21:21:56 by canadave »

Offline harmsway

Reply #4 - 24 August 2005, 21:21:56
Hey Dave,

I'm glad that's all it was. Don't feel inept, that one has got me stumped a few times. That's why I was so quick with the
response. You may also notice if you place the payloads into the bay using 3.8.2 shuttles that you can't see those meshes
from the flight deck window using the VC placeholders. That's a know problem that hopefuly will be addressed.

Gene

« Last Edit: 24 August 2005, 21:21:56 by harmsway »