See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Any more trevor tutorials?  (Read 1588 times)

Offline Demosthanese

20 August 2005, 03:05:56
Just finished the T3 guide that is posted on this site a couple of times, and I'm wanting to know if there are any more. If
not, then I ask this, is there any guid to de-orbit and land at Olympus?

Offline StarLost

Reply #1 - 20 August 2005, 11:32:39
Yeah, Trevor did kind of neglect that didn't he?

A couple of tools that will help are the LandMFD and the SynchronizeBaseMFD. Familiarizing with these and using them will get
you spot on. Deorbitting is really rather simple. After T3 you are familiar with the basic tools. You can see how an orbit
will change when you apply a force to it. In general, you apply a force retrograde to your orbit and your orbit will shrink.
Try to achieve an orbit that will give you a periapsis of 200 km first of all. Circularize. Change orbital inclination to
coincide with the base. Reduce orbital altitude and fly in.

There are other tutorials. Some of the best go along with or are available with jarmonik's IMFD (synchonizebase is actually
part of that package now). Frankly Trevor's was one of the most enjoyable that I've run into.

We haven't developed a Great Library of Orbiter yet to put all the links to tutorials in one place. Simcosmos site is the
best source of tutorial links at this time.

Offline Demosthanese

Reply #2 - 20 August 2005, 12:31:45
I did de-orbit a couple of times, but it just seemed horribly innefficiant. I used up a lot of full hovering for several
kilometers to get back to the base.

Offline StarLost

Reply #3 - 21 August 2005, 04:56:17
Hovering that way is. That's why I suggested the two mfd's that I did.  It's the same as deorbitting from Earth orbit and
shooting for a particular base. I've got a good checklist around somewhere so I'll try to dig it out (BTW it didn't use
either of those mfd's back then).

Editted:

I was just running through some of my tutorials again. A very good one to run through the concepts you want is to get Jarmonik's Habana to Brighton Beach tutorial:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/jarmonik/HabanaBrighton.zip

In this tutorial, you are launching from Havana Base on Earth and going to Brighton Beach Base on the moon. It uses the Interplanetary MFD (IMDF) and the Landing MFD (LandMFD). It provides you with the means to travel to another body, align orbits with a base on that body and how and when to deorbit for it efficiently.

The same tools can be used to accomplish the same thing when the bodies are reversed in their shared gravity well (going from Brighton Beach to Habana or Deimos to Olympus Mons).

Post Edited ( 08-21-05 05:20 )

« Last Edit: 21 August 2005, 04:56:17 by StarLost »