See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [WAY off-topic] Weather around the world II  (Read 1776 times)

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
12 June 2005, 02:42:17
:) Forgive me, dan, I have to rant right now. As a fair excuse, I'm interested in hearing other rants about the local
weather everyone else has right now. :)

Considering the general success the the last one had, I'm gonna try for a second one.

Why? Because it's blasted hot out, that's why! While it's not so bad out today, It's been pretty hot out... (which is
funny because it's a day I don't have to go outside...) The past 3-4 days have been approaching that magic number,
which is to say 100F, and yet not actually reach it. (38C)

And remember that I'm immune to the cold? Well, that's because I wither when heat gets here, so although it's barely
mid-june, I got an air conditioner. :) This one isn't as powerful as the last one. (it's only 5000 BTUs compared to 8000
last year) But the reason for the change is power. We simply don't have enough of it. :(

To explain, we have 3 main circuit breakers. 1 dedicated to the kitchen and my uncles room, 1 for the dining room/ my
room, and 1 for living room/office room. To understand where the problem is, you must know that there are 4
computers in the house, (My computer alone can suck up 3 amps). 1 super-huge american fridge, countless other
things, (lamps, clocks, blenders, etc.) and all of the time we blow fuses. last year, we mapped out which circuit
breaker was dedicated to where, and that was good, but now we're recording numbers, and determined to balance
everthing perfectly.

ooh, all this talk of power and heat makes made me turn on the air right now.  ah.. cooolness. :) So... uh... How're
those tomatoes you showed us a picture of one time, dan? :)

http://orbiter.dansteph.com/forum/index.php?topic=10000.msg160663#msg160663

Offline StarLost

Reply #1 - 12 June 2005, 04:14:53
Hey Free:

Summer in Chicago. By the Lake ... you can have it my friend. Besides, I get the weather you have ... tomorrow. Today it hit
32C with a humidex of 38. No late afternoon thunderstorms.

At least they've let me get back on my bike.  Move the thing ... transpiration ... comfort is relative.

Long range calls for this to be one of the hottest summers on record.  As a December baby, I don't think I'm going to be
enjoying it.

And you ... at least you only have to suffer from one of the Great Lakes right beside you. Humidity won't be too bad. I sit
right in the middle of three of them.  Summer humidity here is always lousy.  Coupled with the smog from Detroit and the Ohio
Valley power plants ...

editted:

Must be fair about this ... Ontario has enough coal burning power plants of its own to add to the air quality problems, too.

Post Edited ( 06-12-05 04:16 )

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #2 - 12 June 2005, 05:06:21
humidity here is about 40%, accoring to my clock/thermonitor/humidity gauge thingy. :)

All the same. Heat sucks more than cold does. ;)

the only good thing is a 3 week break from classes next week. ..ooh, can't wait...

I ride a bike now to school, and riding in heat is not my idea of fun.

And just so we all know, I'm a July baby and yet still I despise heat.

oh well.. :pfff:

Offline Simonpro

Reply #3 - 12 June 2005, 14:55:25
Only about 15here - it reached 28 last week, which made me reasonably happy. Pity we can't get some sun though :(

« Last Edit: 12 June 2005, 14:55:25 by Simonpro »
-------------------------------