See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Orbiter Solar Nations IV [Closed see number V]  (Read 75175 times)

Offline Xianus

Reply #25 - 05 June 2005, 22:22:34
I've got an interesting proposition for you, She_Da_Lier: as a pay for territories mentioned a few posts above, i can
send to Earth two of my newly constructed Armed Shuttle-A's and assign them to help you with defense of your
precious planet.

If you are still not sure, look at these pictures: (they are big so i don't post them directly.)

http://xianus.w.interia.pl/misc%20files/SHA-Armed.jpg - here is the shuttle sitting on the pad ...
http://xianus.w.interia.pl/misc%20files/SHA-Armed2.jpg - ...and here it has just launched a full load o missiles

If anyone else is interested of purchasing/borrowing these vessels - i'm ready to make a deal.

And about the energy cells: my solar power plant is still under construction, but it will be finished in a matter of days so be patient.

Post Edited ( 06-05-05 22:24 )

Offline She_Da_Lier

Reply #26 - 06 June 2005, 13:50:32
Xianus: Deal! But you'll be paying monthly fees as well.

============================

EU Software Patents directive rejected - http://ffii.org
http://strony.aster.pl/she_da_lier/

Offline oli_chose123

Reply #27 - 06 June 2005, 22:17:19
nobody against your claim on earth posted for a long time, so it seems, we'll legalise it ourselve
We should even all form an alliance, to protect earth's claim

Offline paraflyer

Reply #28 - 07 June 2005, 15:55:56
oli_chose123 wrote:
nobody against your claim on earth posted for a long time, so it seems, we'll legalise it ourselve
We should even all form an alliance, to protect earth's claim

Hmm.

Bad move to assume that no response=no action.

CIM is merely waiting for the summit to begin.

Legalizing the invasion and subsequent "claim" may only place yourself in a bad position later.

Xorth Tanovar, Chancellor
Coalition of Independent Moons

Offline She_Da_Lier

Reply #29 - 07 June 2005, 18:37:01
The subject can't wait. Please vote for/against holding summit in Earth's orbit on an independent station?

Offline paraflyer

Reply #30 - 07 June 2005, 22:11:03
I absolutely vote "for" the summit.

However, since SDL controls Earth at the moment, I hardly think that Earth orbit would qualify as neutral territory.

I suggest Mars, or one of its moons. Perhaps someone in the Asteroid Belt would consider hosting, as that is ideally located between the inner and outer worlds?

Post Edited ( 06-07-05 22:12 )

Offline oli_chose123

Reply #31 - 08 June 2005, 00:04:25
for SDL's security, i vote for earth's orbit, for some nations, assassinating the subject is the best way to get rid of the
problem, so, security is needed.
we must show that you have good intentions for earth, or it's a lost cause

Offline Xianus

Reply #32 - 08 June 2005, 08:26:42
I vote "for" the summit too. In my opinion, the earth orbit should become property of SDL in its lower part (lets say,
from the zero level to 1000km) and up from there it will be neutral territory. I think this is the best choice, because to
control the planet you must control its orbit too.

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #33 - 08 June 2005, 08:51:53
I guess I don't care where we have this summit, but it wil be during this that we determine the legality of this earth
control issue. :doubt:

Also, I request pictures of the OSN leaders that will attend the conference, so that we might have a picture for 2005
like we did the previous year, on mars. :)

I'm hoping for a bigger turnout.. maybe double the number of players? either post them in this thread or PM me with the link if you're shy.(though since the pictures will be shown when complete, anyway...) I'll promise to try to finish it by christmas. :)

Post Edited ( 06-08-05 08:55 )

Offline paraflyer

Reply #34 - 08 June 2005, 20:00:22
I like the picture idea. I'll grab a couple for you to use and place them online using my ISP's photo album; when that's
done I can send you the link to the pix.

As for the summit location, I would suggest a common meeting point if it's to be near Earth's domain. May I suggest
that geosynchronous orbit above a particular continent, perhaps? Also, will this be held at an orbital station, or will
one of the attendees be willing to host aboard a suitably-sized vessel?

One final point: given SDL's demonstrated military power, I think it highly unwise that all other attendees arrive unarmed. Now, granted, we don't want full fleets of armor showing up for talks....perhaps we should decide upon a limit on how much firepower should accompany each atendee.

Post Edited ( 06-08-05 20:05 )

Offline paraflyer

Reply #35 - 10 June 2005, 22:22:28
Another topic, but something that should come up, perhaps as part of the summit.

All nations need to agree on a common currency; then we need to establish the relative wealth of each nation....for
simplicity's sake, we could assign a specific cash amount to each major world, and differing values to each moon or
minor planet. It would be relatively easy to compute who has what amount of $$$ to start with that way.

If we were to tie it to resources as defined in each nations' trade page on OSN, we would also be able to get a
rough idea of how much in earnings would be available by gas mining operations, ore proccessing, ship/station  building etc. That way smaller systems could sell their resources, earn money from trade, etc....it would also have the benefit of not allowing someone to miraculously have a huge military fleet appear (you'd have to have enough cash to buy the ships, or enter into trade or even foreign aid agreements with other nations).

Otherwise, Earth would be dealing in Dollars/Euros/Marks, mars would have their Martian Currency, every time SDL
wants to invade he'd end up with another super-fleet, and so on....Hell, I could deal in Trigonic Pu's, but who wants
triangular rubber coins a mile on each side?!?!?!?! ;)

Thoughts on this?

Post Edited ( 06-10-05 22:23 )

Offline oli_chose123

Reply #36 - 11 June 2005, 02:53:38
why not "credits"? :)
we should evaluate the resource of each nations to know the money the have and can make
i've got gold, and if any of you didn't know, gold costs a lot. so i have a lot of money!!!
but even with that, i can't mine everything, and it cost a lot too to install mining bases, and colonies...
Arrrg!! im in big problems...

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #37 - 11 June 2005, 10:38:05
I agree to figure out our countries' wealth based on a common currency, but I'm refusing to have Venus
use "credits", "dollars", "euros", "libery money", or whatever.

Venus uses gold and silver in it's coinage. Debasing of the currency by the government is outlawed. While paper
money exists, the creation of it is strictly regulated, so more or less inflation only nominally exists and a close eye is
kept on it.

The base unit is called the Defigo, it's the "everyday use" denomination and is decimal based to keep foreigners from
running off scared. 1 Defigo is 1 Troy Oz. Silver

However, Venus also has a higher denomination based on gold, the Polleo, which is worth 15 Defigos. (~1/4 Troy Oz.  
gold)

however, since gold coins are so much more valuable than silver, they aren't used as much, and as such, it's perfectly
acceptable for people to say 80 defigos, or whatnot, if they despise nonmetricity, so both groups win. :)

I haven't thought over the coins' denominations much yet, but these are the ones that I'm planning on.

D   .001
D   .01
D   .1
D   1
D   2
P   1/2  (D 7.5)
P   1
P   2
P   4

I think this is good enough to determine the value of the defigo to whatever common universal currency is put into
the solar system. Doc also said he wouldn't accept the universal currency either in favor of this barter economy, so
we'll see how he sets it up. :) (By the way, Venus' system is barter too but we use commodity (gold & silver)
commonly held in value by ALL people to ensure fairness by all. The economies of today are like this too, but they use
something which only has the falue of faith that the people have in their government's ability to produce something in
worth for their currency. Good thing venus doesn't rely on faith like that, because if that faith ever dissappeared.... :( )

Post Edited ( 06-11-05 10:51 )

Offline oli_chose123

Reply #38 - 11 June 2005, 16:23:59
I don't have anything against the use of gold and silver, but replication technology is evolving(if OSN is far in the
future, even only 100-150 years, replication technology would work, and replication of matters like gold could not be
prevented(oh, and im not saying OSN is star trek like, it's just that replication technology is existing today[2005] but
we cant do anything very useful, so in a century or two, replication tech. will have elvolved)

Offline paraflyer

Reply #39 - 12 June 2005, 01:22:06
I said "SIMPLICITY"........:)

Who the heck's got time to run a currency exchange, even if it IS virtual? I like how Freespace has got his planet's
currency somewhat figured out, though...

BTW, what keeps the gold from melting on Venus?  :) :) Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "money burning a
hole in your pocket." I suspect it wouldn't work on Mercury, either!

I'd say replication of gold/silver would be in the same category as counterfeiting paper money. Far easier to rely on a
common "credit", and keep the replication idea out-of-bounds for OSN purposes.

I like the idea of tying nations' wealth to their mineral resources as a baseline. I'm attempting to get as much
research done on the Web and at the local library to see what the current generation of real-world scientists are
saying regarding the makup of Saturn's moons, and that will lead to what ends up on my OSN Trade page. So far it
looks like Atlas is primarily iron or nickel-iron composite, for example.... Trade between nations for natural resources
would be a simple matter, naturally any manufactured products of each nation would have to be decided otherwise.

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #40 - 12 June 2005, 02:01:37
For the 4th or so time already. :)

Venus isn't hot in the future.

We got rid of that CO2 surplus, so it's quite moderate now.

Venus is in the general same "life-zone" that earth and Mars are in. Except Venus is in the Tropical end, Mars is in the
polar end, and earth is right nice in the middle.

And for the Record, synthesising things in more common in the future, but still restricted to laboratorries, for fear of
the "Grey goo" scenario.

(We have to do it this way, otherwise some people will synthesize whole star destroyers. :( Example: Has anybody
played SW: Knights of the old republic? Remember the "Star Forge?")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Forge

(by the way, people have already turned elements like mercury to gold in a nuclear reactor. too bad the cost of doing
so is about 10 times the profit you would gain by doing such. ;) )

Post Edited ( 06-12-05 02:03 )

Offline paraflyer

Reply #41 - 12 June 2005, 04:23:47
Hmmmm, I guess I need to change the sim time on my copy of Orbiter?!?!?!!?!

I guess the question I'd need to ask is, how far in the future are we playing?

I'm curious, as most forms of terrraforming based on current technological ideas would take centuries at the very
least....

I haven't heard of any successful transmutation experiments, but I could be wrong...anyway, like you said, the cost
would outweigh the investment.

Anyway, what is the current rate of Venusian Polleos to the Interplanetary Credit? :wonder:

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #42 - 12 June 2005, 05:15:40
Well, according to redcolony.com, it could be as short as decades for mars' terraforming.

In OSN, we're kinda shniggling it a bit, but we're assuming 2105, because of how fast technology changes, we're
assuming it will be far easier to terraform 20 years from now than it currently is. (though this might change, I think.)

For Venus, we released lots of airborne plants, and they reduced temps to bearable levels by reducing CO2, the
greenhouse gas.

As to the value of the Defigo/Polleo in Interplanetary credits, that is for us to decide in the summit, but I've stated
their value in gold and silver, so we can assume their value based on current day value of gold and silver, minus say
50-60% of the value because of paper money and electronic transfers.

The question to ask is "how much is the interplanetary credit worth?" :???:

Edit:

I'll also say that venus isn't fully terraformed yet. we reduced the temp, the pressure (somewhat) but for the most part it's still lifeless.

Post Edited ( 06-12-05 05:21 )

Offline oli_chose123

Reply #43 - 12 June 2005, 05:33:24
Mercury is ready to start "REAL" terraforming, because living in ashes and rock isn't good for moral
we are ready to pay a lot for mercury to be more beautiful...

Offline She_Da_Lier

Reply #44 - 12 June 2005, 11:15:08
I guess that with the enlargement of scale to whole solar system a solar credit would be worth something like 10
american dollars.

We in SDLSE use both solar credits (I suggest we'll use 10,50 would be ten coma five, instead of using, say, cents for
simplicity of exchange), which are becoming the main currency on Earth, and lunar Runds, which are worth around 1.12SC

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #45 - 12 June 2005, 11:57:37
I don't like the idea of defining the credit on something like the american dollar. I'm sure we can think up something
else... :doubt:

Offline Atom

• Legend
Reply #46 - 12 June 2005, 12:34:17
Yeah, it would be good if the money was worth something. :)

Intel Pentium 4 630 3Ghz|1024mb 400mhz DDR RAM|ASUS P5P800-VM|Nvidia GeForce 6200 256mb|Creative Sound Blaster Pro Value!|Windows XP SP2

Offline oli_chose123

Reply #47 - 12 June 2005, 18:11:41
money on earth today is BASED on american dollars, we should use this
but reading all these posts gives me headackes, why not something simple?

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #48 - 13 June 2005, 12:50:17
Hee..

It wouldn't surprise me if the US dorral would have crashed by then.

Even if it wouldnt' have, it'd have a snowball's chance in hell for standing as a base for a 'united' currency, considering
how the US is considered to be so centralistic and pro-itself.

Offline paraflyer

Reply #49 - 13 June 2005, 14:02:39
That, and the fact I'd rather tie currency values to a known asset (such as gold, silver, uranium, whatever), instead of
paper currency based on nothing more than legislative fiat.

"Solar Credit".. I like that!