See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Orbiter Solar Nations IV [Closed see number V]  (Read 75462 times)

Offline Travis Reed

28 May 2005, 04:51:21
In the interests of keeping the other thread from getting prohibitively long, I present to you, the fourth thread about
OSN.

Relavant data:
Current data (I'll keep these updated, possibly add a link or two):
OSN Website: http://www.vidmar.org/drupal
OSN Forum: (No current forum, except here and on the OSN site, such as it is)

Post Edited ( 06-19-05 05:48 )

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #1 - 28 May 2005, 07:49:30
Say. I'm just wondering, but how would everyone feel about making an OSN 'novel'?

If we all agree on a basic premise to parody on, (like the star wars plot or something, or whatever, so we can have
lots of ships and more) I think we can get a script together that would be simultaniously written in a format like this:

I would write an omnipresent statement about my in character's

the person I'm interacting with would then go off and say what his in character self would say, and we'd go back and
forth until the scene was done, or another world leader would show up and converse in character.

We could do multiple scenes simultaniously, with say, only the bad guys plotting secret alliances against the free
world, or whatever, while others might write scenes that involve only themselves and fictional characters like
bodyguards, and/or other players.

and when we're done, we can somehow organize them and put them all into a neat little script

I just got a copy of the novel 'shogun' yesterday and I'm already 2/5 through it, despite it's size.

I'll say, my mind is ripe with ideas to parody from this book specifically. :)

I haven't read but two books in the past 3 or so years, and now that I found something worthy of my imagination,
whoo, boy, watch out! (the other book I read was the prince and the pauper, which I read only last week!)

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #2 - 28 May 2005, 22:01:38
That's a nice idea and in a way we're already doing that. What is important with this is that you also set certain
constraints.. Like the number of assets and resources we each have, and what you can or cannot do and how fast things are
built etc.... Otherwise I can always pull out a bigger gun or "introduce" a character, ally, faction, solution that wasn't
possible before.. Like for example I'm planning to convert Phobos to death star if you character get out of line (oops, that
was supposed to be a out-of-the-hat secret)

I guess the easiest way is to take a star trek or star wars type of "known" universe with it's rules or both..  I once read
some fan fiction in which Picard somehow ends up in command of a Super star destroyer. It was HILLARIOUS and very well
written (both in terms of how Picard-character would act and how Imperial stormtrooper types would respond). I'll try to find
it for you.

If you keep things withing Orbiter's realistic scope, then every communication and ship movement will have to be followed by
something like "3 months later" or "later that decade" :)

~~~

"Mood is a matter of choice. I choose to have fun!" -Vidmarism No 15

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #3 - 28 May 2005, 23:56:18
If you keep things withing Orbiter's realistic scope, then every communication and ship movement will have to
be followed by something like "3 months later" or "later that decade"

Bah, what happened to rediculously high ISP settings? ;)

I think It should be that there should only be one 'WMD'. the bad guys can make scenes concerning how they:
got/built the weapon/mass fleet combo. ;)

agreed to use it. strategies and stuff.

obliterate the good guys inital fleet.

capture all worlds except for the 'last stand' (probably earth)

The good guys can write about:
the experiences they suffer from the above things

how they make the first counterattack with mixed results

the general feel of desperation as worlds fall to the enemy, with possible close getaways and retreats (I've got a real
good one I got and can adapt from 'shogun'.)

how they narrowly-yet-utterly kick the pants off of the enemy after they exploit the wmd's blaringly obvious fatal
weak point. :)

of course, this is just a guideline i randomly came up with, but sounds like fun. keep in mind that "bad guys" doesn't
have to mean evil, just interested in strong-arm politics. :) and we could also have a third party(s) involved with minor
yet important influence at critical moments that are swayed by money, promises, or what-have you.

The most important aspect of the story would be that everything goes back to normal after the story with nobody
being deposed to allow for a sequel. That wouldn't stop the story from becomming a sort of canon, though, if we
wished it to.

Post Edited ( 05-28-05 23:57 )

Offline oli_chose123

Reply #4 - 29 May 2005, 21:44:28
hehe, i can be the bad guy!!!
of cours, i can't take the entire system without help...
JOIN ME!!!!

Offline She_Da_Lier

Reply #5 - 30 May 2005, 13:57:34
Ok, I'm in :)

============================

EU Software Patents directive rejected - http://ffii.org
http://strony.aster.pl/she_da_lier/

Offline oli_chose123

Reply #6 - 31 May 2005, 03:21:57
would be time to start :)
just a question, is the story allready written, or we do it the RPG Forum way?
one thing after the other?

ok, just to have a strong opponent for all of you on the light side... The bad guys will all have a big fleet
and all players being only characters is a good idea, i like this

we jsut need a reason to start a war

Offline oli_chose123

Reply #7 - 01 June 2005, 18:48:21
this forum is dying!!!!!!

Offline paraflyer

Reply #8 - 02 June 2005, 15:40:33
She_Da_Lier, OSN 3 thread:

]If you want to close your market, then go on.
SDLSE's ships will be leaving CIM's sector from now.

Well done, although it will not affect our market. There are other avenues of transport available.

It was your own government's open agression against the people of Earth that precipitated this action.

(  On another note, this DOES sound familiar, like the rantings of Emperor Pirk of P-Fleet ;) , see
http://www.starwreck.com  )

Post Edited ( 06-02-05 15:42 )

Xorth Tanovar, Chancellor
Coalition of Independent Moons

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #9 - 02 June 2005, 16:43:58
I propose that the story be "RPG-ish" like what we've been doing, only with less typing. maybe there would be some
descriptions at the begining of the scene being written, and when something happens, but most of it would be simply
saying a sentence or maybe a speech or something, and then another would say something, and it would go back
and forth like this:

Assasins pour into the central chamber, catching both Freespace and Doc by complete surpise.

Doc: *gasps* (or whatever he would want to type, I'm just filling in :))

Free: *tries to run, but trips on his baggy clothing*

McBrain: *grabs the two and runs off through an open door, with said door shutting just as a flood of poisoned
throwing knives dig their way into the solid oak door.*

Doc: *speechless*

Free: Quickly! We've got to get out of here!

End scene with them running off.

Rules are that nobody can speak for others in story, nor make them notice something or do an action. though you can
say that a whole group notices something, and then it's assumed that everyone notices, unless a character doens't
want to notice it.

Offline paraflyer

Reply #10 - 02 June 2005, 18:07:50
I like the idea, it would run similar to an old play-by-mail RPG I was involved in years ago.

Question, though....wouldn't such a thing be better off at the OSN site's forum? I know there were some problems with it earlier......

Post Edited ( 06-02-05 18:11 )

Offline She_Da_Lier

Reply #11 - 02 June 2005, 20:10:20
OOC: Hey, I could extend my current in-the-work asp OSN site with some roleplay-dedicated thing if I've got some guidlines.

IC: OSN repeats the request regarding SC summit.

Offline Xianus

Reply #12 - 03 June 2005, 21:35:56
Hello.  I hope that someone can still remember me (if you can't remember - Xianus, director of the Rhea Research
Corporation :)). I've dot some SERIOUS problems with my PC and internet connection so i weren't able to be active,
but
it will change. In the following days i'm gonna submit my website with some Orbiter addons (for now only
surface bases on Rhea but the beginnings are always hard). So, i would be happy if someone would tell me what is
going on here with the OSN (in the few words of course...).

Offline Xianus

Reply #13 - 03 June 2005, 21:40:19
In the first OSN forum i said that i've made my logo: here is it ("better late than never" or something like that...):lol:

Offline paraflyer

Reply #14 - 03 June 2005, 22:11:46
Xianus wrote:
Hello.  I hope that someone can still remember me (if you can't remember - Xianus, director of the Rhea Research
Corporation :)). I've dot some SERIOUS problems with my PC and internet connection so i weren't able to be active,
but
it will change. In the following days i'm gonna submit my website with some Orbiter addons (for now only
surface bases on Rhea but the beginnings are always hard). So, i would be happy if someone would tell me what is
going on here with the OSN (in the few words of course...).

Ah, I was wondering when the other neighbor would show up ;)

Offline Xianus

Reply #15 - 03 June 2005, 23:01:09
Ok, first version of my webpage is online: http://xianus.w.interia.pl There can be some bugs but check it out!

Offline StarLost

Reply #16 - 04 June 2005, 02:05:50
Hey Paraflyer.

Love the sig graphic.  Into crop circles are we?

Offline Travis Reed

Reply #17 - 04 June 2005, 08:54:08
The Official OSN forum is up (most of the time anyway...) and was intended to take the OSN stuff off of Dan's forum for the
most part.

The link to the forum is in the first post in this thread and is not the site run by Doc.

Offline She_Da_Lier

Reply #18 - 04 June 2005, 12:44:27
Well, so what happened you ask?
Earth has been taken by me and now we're waiting for the Solar Council summit.

BTW, what is that stargate about? You can take that code by viewing the source, but then ther's nothing inside :P

Offline paraflyer

Reply #19 - 04 June 2005, 14:33:15
StarLost wrote:
Hey Paraflyer.

Love the sig graphic.  Into crop circles are we?

You know, I never thought of it that way......I doodled a bit on paper, found a pattern that appealed, then built the
image in Photoshop. Figured I'd use the KISS principle, and just represent my 12-moon coalition, with Saturn in the
distance.

BTW, I noted your name, and you're obviously from Canada....so you must be a fan of mid-70's sci fi! ;)

Offline Xianus

Reply #20 - 04 June 2005, 15:37:31
SDL: The stargate was supposed to be "the area only for the chosen" but i must find a better way to make the
password (maybe cgi or something...). Currently there is nothing.

Earth has been taken by me

Well, the Earth is veeery big planet. In my opinion, too big for one person. Can I borrow a little piece of it? (maybe
southern and western Poland) It would be nice place for my research facilities. Otherwise you will be rather alone
there... you know what i mean.

About the RRC - currently i'm working on the huge solar power plant on Rhea. When it will be completed, my energy
problems will finally end. Maybe i will be able to start selling it (ten thousand SpaceDollars for one GigaWatt... who will
give more?). Moon is far from Rhea, but i think that filling a few Shuttle-A's with energy cells will be enough for the
polish territory mentioned above... am i right?

Offline She_Da_Lier

Reply #21 - 04 June 2005, 18:53:39
We can sell territories for small fee. We've got plenty of energy here on Earth, especially from nuclear fusion.

Offline Xianus

Reply #22 - 04 June 2005, 19:12:55
So what do you propose? If you want you can write on my gg: 6041488.

Offline oli_chose123

Reply #23 - 05 June 2005, 05:06:44
ok, since im supposed to be a bad guy with SDL, can't i do anything to regain thrust with you SDL???

I'm also in need of enery cells, weapons won't power themselves... ready to pay a lot for these...

Offline She_Da_Lier

Reply #24 - 05 June 2005, 19:30:54
What can you do is help our fleet defend (noticed the pun?;)) Earth and help us legalise the conquest on the SC meeting.
As for energy cells, refere to RRC.