See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: (Off Topic) Anyone around Manchester UK ?  (Read 15516 times)

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #25 - 26 May 2005, 13:38:19
allright. that's enough about swords now.

lets start talking about how awesome miles are. :)

Post Edited ( 05-26-05 13:39 )

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #26 - 26 May 2005, 14:53:07
Before we do. My nickname in World War 2 online, JUST happens to be LongbowS (S is just coz, longbow was taken)

Cheers,

~~~

"Mood is a matter of choice. I choose to have fun!" -Vidmarism No 15

Offline Simonpro

Reply #27 - 26 May 2005, 15:31:41
My nickname in everything internet based is Simonpro, although in reality i am generally called "si", "mr proud" or
occasionally galen raketman, depending on how drunk my girl is :p
Think i prefer si :)

Oh, and i'm not getting into a debate about miles, we all know that km are miles better.
ahaahhaha 0.o

-------------------------------

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #28 - 26 May 2005, 19:24:22
hahahaha!!:)

Sorry, simon, I'm not giving up one inch. ;)

anyone who dares take them away will suffer having my foot on their face.

http://img196.echo.cx/my.php?image=583966nq.png

http://img196.echo.cx/my.php?image=ruler4xe.png

Offline StarLost

Reply #29 - 27 May 2005, 09:50:57
Oh, Lord ... the metric versus imperial/american standard again! It's all so arbitrary.

You guys ever notice the commonality of other interests we Orbinauts share?  The main reason for my surgery is that I am/was
a competitive archer (compound bow, 3d and static target, primitive longbow) and that being left handed I hold my bow in my
right hand.  It will be months before I can draw a bow again.

But the other interests we share!!!

Ah, Simon, about Swedish girls ... you didn't happen to have a conversation with Oz (Kent Osborne) over on M6 before he got
married, did you? Seems you two share a common taste for Nordic Valkyries.  As for "the Hunt" ... it's the journey that
matters, not the destination.

Hey Doc, isn't that a Hurricane in the LongbowS graphic? And nice to see you join this conversation, too.

Oh, and freespace, wouldn't you rather express the expanse of the Noble Upright Unit as 14 cm rather than 5.5 in. (speaking
of Kinsey averages, of course)?

Offline Simonpro

Reply #30 - 27 May 2005, 12:06:43
No, i didn't - has he married a Swede too? Glad to see he has good taste (ducks) :)
Archery seems quite a common sport among scientific types (if you don't mind me putting you in that group ;) ). Quite
a lot of my friends are very keen archers, and I like to have a go although I'm nowhere near as good as
them. :turning:

-------------------------------

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #31 - 27 May 2005, 12:10:07
Ah... Nordic Valkyre :) Put me in that same group. Love independant, smart, witty and beautiful women. But
fortunatelly didn't have to venture to Sweden for that. From what I've heard they are a bit too relaxed for my
tastes, "hunting-wise".

Hey starlost. I didn't really follow it from the start, but I had to react to the age-old modern/traditional discussion :)
And I didn't know you were an archer. That's a little passion I intend to turn into a hobby one day as well. You never
know what future holds, but if manure starts hitting the propellers (heh), I want to be skilled in a "natural" method of
fighthing. Sniper rifles are usually scarce in such times.

How are you doing ..?

~~~

Offline StarLost

Reply #32 - 28 May 2005, 09:16:43
Ah-ha, now to burst all their bubbles in one fell male-chauvinistic, mysogynistic swoop.  And since my own tastes for the
fairer, but usually stronger gender fall into a decidedly Nihon bent (that's Japanese girls for you slightly illiterate ones):

It doesn't matter whether they are Japanese, Swedish, European, North American, black, white, tan, redheaded or raven-tressed
... scratch any two ... and you will find ... sisters !!  Bwahahaha !!!

Maybe I should go back on the Percocet?

Now that I have that, once again, out of my system ...

Doc, I started in archery about 15 years ago after a very strange hunting trip.  I had a beautiful buck lined up in the
'scope of my rifle, and the damned thing turned and shot those big, beautiful brown eyes straight back at me.  I could not
pull the trigger (amongst many North American hunters we call this "buck fever").  I gave up using firearms and turned to
archery as it gives the animal better than half a chance. As an archer, you must get closer; your stalking skills and animal
lore skills must be top-notch. Ten years ago, when I crossed over to Buddhism, I gave up hunting altogether, and now just use
static targets to keep the skills honed. BTW, when aiming my bow, I superimpose an image of my sons' mother on the target ...
my opponents have said that I'm deadly when I do that.

As for the manure and the big blenders ... a hobby that I've held for a long time is to keep many of the old skills alive.
For instance, I knit my own nets, and knap my own flint.  It's called self-reliance. And lest some of you wonder, no I am not
part of the survivalist movement.

Simon, placing me in the scientific category now, might be a stretch. I do have an addiction to the printed page (including
text books). My original university study was in genetics. When I went into the Air Force, I crosstrained to avionics and
computers.  

Real small world, isn't it?

And Doc ... still pain from the surgery, 'cause I'm overdoing the physical rebuilding. 95% of motion range regained and about
10% of the strength (they can't push it too much or we will undo the surgery).  As to what your question was really about ...
we're OK.  The angelic ones seem externally unaffected and no other developments to date except what I have already shared
with you.  I still seek my own balance.

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #33 - 28 May 2005, 21:52:25
:lol: to the ex-wife comment :)

I'm glad you gave up hunting. I find it a rather useless and totally counter-productive activity (which of course it is
designed to be) unless used to actually feed youself and yours. BUT, totally agree with you on the caveman skills aspect. I'm
not survivalist either, but I like to be self-reliant (which I'm not), even tho it's almost impossible to practice it in an
urban environment unless you live in say.. Canada where nature is still abundant and intersecting with  (not subdued by)
civilization.

Good to hear about your health and of your kin. I appreciate the fact you are pushing yourself, but do listen to doctors :)

Lol, back on topic, so who else do I contact if I ever get me arse to Manchester? :)

~~~

Offline StarLost

Reply #34 - 29 May 2005, 05:23:33
DocHoliday wrote:

I'm glad you gave up hunting. I find it a rather useless and totally counter-productive activity (which of course it is
designed to be) unless used to actually feed youself and yours. BUT, totally agree with you on the caveman skills aspect. I'm
not survivalist either, but I like to be self-reliant (which I'm not), even tho it's almost impossible to practice it in an
urban environment unless you live in say.. Canada where nature is still abundant and intersecting with  (not subdued by)
civilization.

Doc, when I was younger I spent many summers with an Aunt and Uncle who lived beside an aboriginal reserve (Anishnabe First
Nation, what most people call Ojibway). Consequently I spent much time ON the reserve. They taught me a reverence for the
taking of life that has never left me. I was a hunter, not a butcher.  If you must kill, use the entire animal, and respect,
mourn and venerate the gift of its life to you. Hunting is always for food, never for sport. He who kills an animal for
sport, or kills more than he or his family can consume immediately, is a butcher, not a hunter.

It is true that much of Canada has abundant natural resources (90% of our population is within 200km of the US border and our
landmass is roughly 6000km x 4500km). Unfortunately, as happened in Europe, wildlife is much in decline, especially in
southern areas, due mostly to habitat destruction. Where nature and civilization? intersect, nature is ALWAYS subdued.

« Last Edit: 29 May 2005, 05:23:34 by StarLost »