See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: *sigh* NASSP and me: my sad story  (Read 3802 times)

Offline canadave

18 November 2004, 05:29:36
Hi all :(

I finally decided to put Dan's DG3 in the garage for a couple of days, and try out NASSP, which I've never used
before.  I knew it was a...shall we say...slightly-more-probability-of-being-buggy addon, so I did the following to
minimize my chances of having something bad happen:

1.  Installed a fresh copy of Orbiter.
2.  Installed the level 9 Earth and Moon textures (as long as I'm doing this, I want to have a nice view out the
window.)
3.  Installed NASSP 5.0.
4.  Installed NASSP 5.1 and 5.2, in that order.
5.  Set all Orbiter Launchpad config options as I have in my original copy, which works great.

I fired up the NASSP Apollo 11 scenario, holding my breath...and voila, it worked!  I got inside the CSM cockpit.  Great!

I accelerated time to about 1:30 before launch, then went back to regular 1X time.  At just inside T minus 60 seconds,
Orbiter *crashed*.  Hard.  Whoa!

OK...maybe it was because I didn't have OrbiterSound installed?  Duh.  Let me install that, I said to myself.

Installed OrbiterSound, tried again...but Orbiter crashed at exactly the same point! :(

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong here? :stupid: :sunk:

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #1 - 18 November 2004, 08:18:16
Hm. I don't know. What I do know is that NASSP has some issues with the following:
- time acceleration
- high-level textures

I tried it months ago, so I can't be accurate. But my guess is, to try without the level 9 textures. I think NASSP comes
with a few textures of moon landing sites (or maybe it's NASSP NEP - expansion pack on AVSIM), so level 9 textures
may be overkill..

I never had it crash while on Earth, but I do recall that sometimes when you use 10x or 100x Orbiter will suddenly
freeze and crash after that.. What you need to do, if it happens, is QUICKLY press R to recuce time back to 1x or less
and you might prevent the crash. It's rather crude, but usually works...

OrbiterSound is definitelly a requirement, even if it's perhaps not so stated :) Appart from that, maybe you too should
check for 0KB sized files, just to be on the safe side. You say it's a fresh install, so if there is some 0kb file, it is
definitelly a problem of NASSP.

There is also the remote possibility you did something wrong in terms of using the on-board computer. Read the
manual, but I do believe most scenarios in NASSP are setup for hands-free launch... so that's a remote possibility.

Otherwise, being Canadian and all (and assuming you speak some French), you might ask on the French forum, quite
a few of the guys are well versed in NASSP over there. Like Mustard and Coussini. They may have had and solved such problems.

Cheers,
Janez

Post Edited ( 11-18-04 08:19 )

« Last Edit: 18 November 2004, 10:38:47 by DocHoliday »
~~~

"Mood is a matter of choice. I choose to have fun!" -Vidmarism No 15

Offline canadave

Reply #2 - 18 November 2004, 08:24:02
Thanks, Doc...

I actually seem to have fixed it...did another fresh install of everything, but this time installed OrbiterSound *before*
any addons including NASSP.  This time it worked (even with the level 9 texes).

I *wish* I spoke French...I'm a new Canadian (only four years here)...before that, a dumb New Yawker who had
enough trouble mangling English ;)

« Last Edit: 18 November 2004, 10:38:47 by canadave »

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #3 - 18 November 2004, 08:31:39
Hehe, I thought orbitersound would fix it :)

You might still have problems with textures and when you get close to Moon..

« Last Edit: 18 November 2004, 10:38:47 by DocHoliday »
~~~

"Mood is a matter of choice. I choose to have fun!" -Vidmarism No 15

Offline Simonpro

Reply #4 - 18 November 2004, 10:38:46
nassp is in fact very buggy and im not really too surprised it CTD'ed. There are some tricks you can do to prevent the
CTD's but igave up in frustration. There'll hopefully be someone around here who knows, though...

« Last Edit: 18 November 2004, 10:38:47 by Simonpro »
-------------------------------