See site in english Voir le site en francais
Website skin:
home  download  forum  link  contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Accurate Space Movies?  (Read 5554 times)

Offline Atom

• Legend
02 September 2004, 01:39:13
I was wondering, does anyone know any, because most are not realistic at all.

Intel Pentium 4 630 3Ghz|1024mb 400mhz DDR RAM|ASUS P5P800-VM|Nvidia GeForce 6200 256mb|Creative Sound Blaster Pro Value!|Windows XP SP2

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #1 - 02 September 2004, 08:32:33
why?? :)

the DRAMA, ACTION, ATTRACTIVNESS of it!! where do you live? :) hehe, the last relatively accurate movie was 2001
and 2010 Space Odyssey :) sad, eh?

~~~

"Mood is a matter of choice. I choose to have fun!" -Vidmarism No 15

Offline Schimz

• Legend
Reply #2 - 02 September 2004, 08:33:46
best :
Right Stuff
Apollo13
Babylon5

worst :
Star wars
Star trek
Galactica

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #3 - 02 September 2004, 08:36:11
I would put Babylon5 in that category.. good yes, realistic, not really :)

you forgot armaggedon under non-realistic :)

~~~

Offline Shirson

Reply #4 - 02 September 2004, 10:07:05
Apollo-13 - Great movie

worst:
Mission To Mars

-----------------------------------------------------------------
For rabid astrounauts pair a.e. -  not a big detour.

Offline Krytom

• Legend
Reply #5 - 02 September 2004, 10:08:21
Schimz wrote:
best :
Right Stuff
Apollo13
Babylon5

worst :
Star wars
Star trek
Galactica

I hope you mean it in accuracy terms and not how good the movies were.

Offline freespace2dotcom

• Legend
Reply #6 - 02 September 2004, 11:56:30
What about mission to mars?

Oh sure there was that whole alien thing and lots of phoney "no way would nasa people think of doing that" but it
has it's redeeming qualities. :)

Sorta.... ;)

Offline Shirson

Reply #7 - 02 September 2004, 13:30:11
Mission To Mars:

Leaked fuel froze in vacuum into Real_Big_Icicle.

And exploded, when engine starts.

Astronaut miss from sattelite and stops near (in vacuum). Other astronaut start fly to him, but used half of fuel (IN
FLY!!!) and turn back.

Sattelite can land on Mars.

Human can live with preassure 1/170 of normal. On Mars, in fabric-tent-shelter without any hermetisation.

Enoug? :)  Super movie :applause:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
For rabid astrounauts pair a.e. -  not a big detour.

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #8 - 02 September 2004, 15:02:05
Glad I never saw it :badsmile:

~~~

Offline schumanna

Reply #9 - 02 September 2004, 21:14:50
I would not put Apollo-13  under full realistic becouse I have studyed all the logs and manules of the flight and the
movie is missing alot.   To put it simple the flight was much wores. :sad:

P.S. I like the :badfinger:

schumanna

Post Edited ( 09-02-04 21:15 )

Owner of Astroide Chiron and Alpha Centaury

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand". quoting Homer Simpson

Du & Ich...(Orbiter)...heißt, niemals alleine zu sein

Offline Mr Lightyear

Reply #10 - 02 September 2004, 23:12:36
Apollo 13 was a very good representation of actual events.  To have written in every nuance of the Mission then you
would have had a 6 hour epic that everyone, even the hardcore space fanatic would have been sleeping with their
heads in popcorn pouches within the first 5 mins.  The movie we all got was good at high lighting the perils of space
flight and gave due limelight to the crew of Apollo 13.  The Right Stuff is a wonderful film, but horrendously inaccurate,
making much of the likes of Chuck yeager etc when there were much more deserving characters associated with the
entire genre, but what an excellent movie!  Terrifically entertaining based around real life events.

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #11 - 03 September 2004, 08:54:55
Agreed. Too much realism kill the action. Compare 2001 and Armageddon. You cannot have both.

Also agreed on the The Right Stuff. I thought I was the only one to ever watch it :) at least around here I am,
fortunatelly the world is big enough, so other freaks like me exist :wor:

~~~

Offline Krytom

• Legend
Reply #12 - 03 September 2004, 10:01:21
I've never even heared of 'The Right Stuff'. :pfff:

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #13 - 03 September 2004, 12:07:30
Hehe, I don't know how old the movie is, but there are some pretty known actors in there like Ed Harris, Dennis
Quaid and don't know who played Yeager's wife, but I loved her :)

The movie is almost a documentary showing the beginnings of the US space program from the flight of X-1 to the last
flight of the Mercuri craft. It's about the "original 7 US astronauts" who had the "right stuff" to go to space.. You
might think of it as long-winded drama tho :)

I especially like two parts of the movie:
1. how john glenn handled high-g :) by singing a tune, so he could endure it and at the same time, give the folks at
control a sign he was still alive.
2. the scene where there is a "strip/balet dancer" or whatever dancing for the astronauts and at the same time
Yeager is trying to get to space with the F-104 :) beautiful and sad at the same time... as if saying, you can stretch all
you want, your reach is limited to the higher levels of atmosphere.. while we can soar in space like a ballerina :) and
all because you didn't go to colleage. cruel, eh?

I liked the music too..

Cheers,

~~~

Offline reekchaa

Reply #14 - 03 September 2004, 18:31:15
Barbara Hershey.  
Yeah, wasn't she Great as Yeager's wife?  :)
It IS long-winded, but very poingnant and nice drama.  
I never really realized the strip/balet scene in that way before, Doc... Thanks for the great review!  :)

~ the Reekchaa

Offline ExoToa

Reply #15 - 04 September 2004, 16:04:41
I dunnno About Mission to Mars its ben one of my favorites for a long time

Leaked fuel froze in vacuum into Real_Big_Icicle.

And exploded, when engine starts.

Yeah your right, but think about it, Wouldnt the Writer/Director want a mre visual way of the engine Exploding than
the non tagible ways they really would?

Astronaut miss from sattelite and stops near (in vacuum). Other astronaut start fly to him, but used half of
fuel (IN
FLY!!!) and turn back.

I guess the public isnt aware that you dont need your enignes to be a full thrust at all times to go somewere in space.

Sattelite can land on Mars.

Ypu will notice that its not a satilite, but a resupply shuttle designed to land on mars, thats probably why the ship
showed up so close to it because they were both aligned to the orbit of the landing site

Human can live with preassure 1/170 of normal. On Mars, in fabric-tent-shelter without any hermetisation.

i dunno that still kinda bugs me,

But anyway Mission To Mars is a WAYYYYY more realistic veiw of a a Human trip to mars than Red Planet,

I mean Come on,  Humans breathin 1/170 of eath Air, is well , stupid, Thats like trying to breath 90,000 ft in the air on
earth , isnt it? then the last astronaut dude, crams himself into a small(and Malfunction Prone) Russian return probe,
that never returned in the first place(Probably due to a malfunction) and takes it all the way into orbit without fatal
stran on his body.

now i could be wrong here, but ranting is fun so i'll leave it at that

~~ExoToa~~    Emperor of the Alitar Solar system
Supreme Govenor of Astraea and Vesta.
MY allegiance is to the ABC

Due to high temperature, your Cheese Fondue was disintegrated in atmosphere... You Cant make Nanchos!

Offline Arkalius

Reply #16 - 05 September 2004, 03:33:13
On Earth, it's not the low pressure at high altitudes that gets you, it's hypoxia, or a lack of oxygen. We need a certain
amount of oxygen to survive. If the air is thinner, then the concentration of oxygen in the air needs to be higher.

However, I do not think even 100% concentration of oxygen at that low of a pressure would be enough. What's
more, even if there was plants on mars generating oxygen, it couldn't generate a sufficient amount to make the
atmosphere breathable.

-Arkalius

Offline Mr Lightyear

Reply #17 - 06 September 2004, 11:17:05
The musical score of The Right Stuff is simply superb, no two ways about it and the F-104 sequence is for me the
highlight of the entire film with the goings on from Al "Jose" Shepard and Gordon "Gordo" Cooper.  Prpbably the most
poignant scene of any movie is right there in the Right Stuf and all who watch it should keep this in mind, those who
havnt seen it should go out and find it, its available on DVD, the Scene:  Pancho's Happy Bottom Riding Club going up
in flames and all the pictures and memorabilia being lost... Terrifically sad.  By chance I studied the history behind
Pancho Barnes before seeing the Right Stuff for the first time and was delighted they had made mention of her.  A
real personality and much understated character of America's aeronautical history.

Ok to lighten up a little, I made the effort to sit and watch the Tom Hanks serires "From the Earth to the Moon".  Did
anyone else watch this and if so what did you guys make of it?  I am in two minds, whether it was well portrayed or
totally disjointed...  I did have difficulty following it, trying to realise the timelines etc, it appeared to jump about too
much for my liking.

Hehehe!  Yes Doc; *Hand in Air* I am as freaky as everyone else!  :applause:

Post Edited ( 09-07-04 05:20 )

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #18 - 07 September 2004, 12:40:17
reekchaa wrote:
Barbara Hershey.  
Was it her? wow, I used to have SUCH a crush on that chick when I was a kid. :)

It IS long-winded, but very poingnant and nice drama.  
I never really realized the strip/balet scene in that way before, Doc... Thanks for the great review!  :)
Yup, movies like that you can watch as many times as you want and as you as a person change, also your
interpretation of the contents do. I actually came up with that interpretation on the spot while thinking about the
movie. A few years back, I'd say it was just something to fill in the movie length :)

I always felt sorry for Gus Grissom though. He was such a loyal, yet not too bright person ("fuc**in' ain't!", hehe), but
he always had bad luck, up until the end (lost his Mercury capsule, died in Apollo 1). Otherwise he might become one
of those astronauts that went from Mercury to Shuttle. Was it Young who was on all four or Cernan? Or did they start
at Gemini?

Cheers,

~~~

Offline DocHoliday

• Legend
Reply #19 - 07 September 2004, 12:50:53
Mr Lightyear wrote:
The musical score of The Right Stuff is simply superb, no two ways about it and the F-104 sequence is for me the
highlight of the entire film with the goings on from Al "Jose" Shepard and Gordon "Gordo"
Cooper.  
Right. I forgot about that.. How they looked from one to another.. As if saying. "I did my job, the legacy is passed on
to you. Make me proud". While that jackass of Yeager (kidding of course) almost killed himself meanwhile :)

Pancho Barnes before seeing the Right Stuff for the first time and was delighted they had made mention of her.  A
real personality and much understated character of America's aeronautical history.
Heh, don't know much about her or the club, but they did put quite an emphasis on it in the movie.

Moon".  Did
anyone else watch this and if so what did you guys make of it?  I am in two minds, whether it was well portrayed or
nope.

Hehehe!  Yes Doc; *Hand in Air* I am as freaky as everyone else!  :applause:
hehe, feel free to be as much as you feel like :)

I like Red Mars though. I didn't go into details about oxygen, even though it seemed a pretty slim chance they'd
breathe so easily.. I loooooved AIMEE (or something like that) - "My kind of girl, hehe".

I agree that the Gs a probe would produce on lauch would probably squash a human :) Then again, on Mars perhaps
it was less drastic.. I liked the "soft" computer screens they had.. Sort of concept I could get used to :)

Oh and of course, Carrie Ann Moss! :)

Keep turning rocks around. You may find one with a label "Made by God" :)

~~~

Offline AphelionHellion

Reply #20 - 16 September 2004, 08:12:18
The Right Stuff was the first DVD I ever bought. Now I'm remembering why :)

I always get Mission to Mars and Red Planet confused. They both have their high and low points. Mission to Mars
started off great, then got sorta nutty with the fiery-explosiony meteor shower and the dementia. Not to mention the
space-shuttle-looking landing vehicle (assuming I'm not still mixing these movies up?)
I thought Red Planet had a good portrayal of the hardware that might be used for a Mars mission (except for "AMEE" -
sure NASA is looking at legged vehicles for planetary exploration, but I seriously doubt they'd use one with a "military"
mode that could go loopy and attack people ) but obviously the whole atmosphere thing is goofy. Even assuming that
there was a massive geological/biological process that made Mars' atmosphere dense enough (and with enough
oxygen partial pressure) to breathe,  the astronauts wouldn't discover "accidentally" when some guy panics and
removes his helmet(!!!) It'd be obvious on re-entry that the atmosphere was altered, perhaps fatally so. More likely
they'd be able to (visually?) tell the difference before they even entered orbit :fool:

Apollo 13 is still t3h r0x0r in my humble opinion :)

« Last Edit: 16 September 2004, 08:12:19 by AphelionHellion »
< [yellow]C[/yellow]arpe [yellow]N[/yellow]octem! >